61,000 Service (Variable Service #2) Advice

My A2 is approaching it's 2nd service on the variable plan - currently it will be required by 61,000 miles. It's a 1.4 TDI 75.

Has anyone any experience of the same service with their vehicle?

I'm looking to get an idea of how much it will cost at a stealer and what actually gets done.. Obviously the oil and filter, what about pollen filters, brake fluid (already changed this, but it may as well be done again), belts etc? I have a sneaky feeling this will be a big one.. please tell me otherwise! ;)

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have had the 60,000mile service at a main dealer, which included cam belt and front disc replacement. From memory it was a large three figure sum...:(

John.

Poor_John said:
Hi Ian,

I have had the 60,000mile service at a main dealer, which included cam belt and front disc replacement. From memory it was a large three figure sum...:(

John.
Hence the name 'Poor John' I would imagine :( :p

I've already had my front discs and pads changed also.. cam belt.. 'oh dear'

Are we talking a sub or above £500 figure here!?

Hi Ian,

My log in "Poor John" comes from my future Mother in Law. It's how she refers to me when talking to her daughter on the phone. It winds my better half up no end.;)

You might want to sit down for the next bit... The total bill came to £948.47 and I was wrong about the front discs. It was only the front pads.

John.

Poor_John said:
You might want to sit down for the next bit... The total bill came to £948.47 and I was wrong about the front discs. It was only the front pads.

John.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

:cry:

From what you've both said, I think I'll buy and fit my own air filter, leave the brake fluid, make sure they know about the pads and PRAY.

Time to start getting quotes if the cost is likely to be that high - I think I may also apply for the Audi credit card.. every 10% helps :rolleyes:

Last edited:
60,000 service

Hi Ian,

The timing belt and tensioners are a must. Some even recommend replacing the water pump as well. There are lots of drivers out there who took a chance, only to have the belt break, followed by a very expensive repair.

John.

Time to look for an independant!

I used my local VW dealer for the MOT 10 days ago. They charge only £65 per hour as opposed to the near £100 of the local Audi dealer.

But then I played golf..and my partner is an VW/Audi independant garage charging £35 per hour. His family used to be Audi dealers in Bradford. Will be trying him out next and will post my experience.

I also know an independent nearby, who has often serviced my previous cars and our two SEATs.. I'm just a little concerned by the variable servicing given the fact that if the car is changed from VSI to annual, it cannot be changed back.. hence my caution.

Busy week on the phone I think :)

hi driveforward

I'm coming to my 4th service 122,000. On variable, 1.4TDi SE.

I go to the VW dealer.

service £225
cambelt & tensioners £264.38 (I think it's now advised at 60,000??)
water pump £98 (I have not had one yet... yikes....!)

Price includes all labour and a car, what's everybodies opinion on this?

bba

Last edited:
go for the VW fast service and it will be cheaper still. you wont get the extras like car wash, curtisy car

Got a quote from South Hereford Audi today for £298 excluding cambelt.

Then my independent quoted me £250 for the service, plus £150 for the cambelt. He also added that the water pump and antifreeze change would be £50 - although he did say that although they're known to go - some laste for quite a while - backed up by bba.

Back