90 tdi

Chiefmechanic

My 90 tdi 2004 model has sticking turbo vanes. The linkage has almost no movement. It is putting the eml on in the cruise at 60 mph. Is there an easy way to get the vanes moving again or does the turbo have to come off and be stripped. It is almost impossible to get at it without a major stripping match. Any ideas. Brian.

Have a look at this video. You may need to strip it to clean if it is too gummed up....

Thanks for the video. Very informative. Would be interested to know how much stripping I need to do to either get at the turbo or take it out.

If it’s the original turbo and never been cleaned it’s time to do the right thing and get it back to original condition. Mine was reconditioned at 135k miles with same fault. Do all the vacuum hoses with samco silicon ones and it’s good for another 17 years, longer if you use turbo cleaner sometimes.

My 90 tdi 2004 model has sticking turbo vanes. The linkage has almost no movement. It is putting the eml on in the cruise at 60 mph. Is there an easy way to get the vanes moving again or does the turbo have to come off and be stripped. It is almost impossible to get at it without a major stripping match. Any ideas. Brian.
Don't be tempted to use oven cleaner without first removing the turbo first! It won't work and it'll likely do damage.

Here's how to do it:

Latterly, I used a heated ultrasonic bath with a solution of washing soda in place of oven cleaner.

RAB

I had same issue on one of my old tdi90 it took a while to get the turbo off but once off following Rabs guide was straightforward. The reason mine was sticking was a combination of carbon and rust build up... cheers

Back