A big milestone at the end of the road

Tai

So after a long seven year stint, my trusted petrol SE is about a day away from reaching 250k miles! Unfortunately it's also about a day away from being handed over in exchange for a brand new car.

For four of those years this little Audi ferried me up and down the M20 from Monday to Friday. A 160 mile daily commute from Sandgate in Kent to North London where I then worked. Only broke down once, which turned out to be a minor electrical issue. Started every single time!

Then when we relocated to Denmark, instead of buying a new car I decided to bring it along. We hired a 7.5 tonner and driver, but still had the last of the books, 2 bicycles and some odds and ends to carry. The car did the 700 mile trip, fully (perhaps slightly over) loaded without a hiccup.

I freelanced home based for my first two years here in Denmark, so it had a well-deserved hiatus. Then last year I took a job and it went back to grafting: a 100 mile daily commute. Hasn't broken down. Still starts every time, on what I think is the original battery.

But in recent months it's started sounding old and wheezy. And lacks the 'grunt' of its youth. It's also sporadically misfiring on random valves, every few hundred miles or so. I think the sound is a broken manifold and leaky exhaust. And perhaps the valve issue could be repaired but with this age, mileage and, to be frank, mediocre spec, I can't really justify pumping more money into it.

So it's with a heavy heart that I'll start it up tomorrow. The good news is the dealer says he might push some money into it and get it back on its feet for resale. So it might not be ready for the scrap yard just yet.

In any case I can honestly say, this little Marmite Audi has been the best car I've owned...without doubt! And it will be missed.

Oh and the car I'm buying? Yes, I'm afraid I'm getting another Marmite. A new all black Cactus, on 17" black alloys.

Last edited:
And there it is! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456471849.683230.jpg

When I saw your location, I thought this would be 250,000 kms, but no, it's miles! Fantastic.

And congratulations on your choice of new car. The car market is dominated by "me-too" lookalikes but the Cactus is individual with a bit of flair. I like the fact that it doesn't ry to look aggressive or pseudo sporty.

So after a long seven year stint, my trusted petrol SE is about a day away from reaching 250k! Unfortunately it's also about a day away from being handed over in exchange for a brand new car.

For four of those years this little Audi ferried me up and down the M20 from Monday to Friday. A 160 mile daily commute from Sandgate in Kent to North London where I then worked. Only broke down once, which turned out to be a minor electrical issue. Started every single time!

Then when we relocated to Denmark, instead of buying a new car I decided to bring it along. We hired a 7.5 tonner and driver, but still had the last of the books, 2 bicycles and some odds and ends to carry. The car did the 700 mile trip, fully (perhaps slightly over) loaded without a hiccup.

I freelanced home based for my first two years here in Denmark, so it had a well-deserved hiatus. Then last year I took a job and it went back to grafting: a 100 mile daily commute. Hasn't broken down. Still starts every time, on what I think is the original battery.

But in recent months it's started sounding old and wheezy. And lacks the 'grunt' of its youth. It's also sporadically misfiring on random valves, every few hundred miles or so. I think the sound is a broken manifold and leaky exhaust. And perhaps the valve issue could be repaired but with this age, mileage and, to be frank, mediocre spec, I can't really justify pumping more money into it.

So it's with a heavy heart that I'll start it up tomorrow. The good news is the dealer says he might push some money into it and get it back on its feet for resale. So it might not be ready for the scrap yard just yet.

In any case I can honestly say, this little Marmite Audi has been the best car I've owned...without doubt! And it will be missed.

Oh and the car I'm buying? Yes, I'm afraid I'm getting another Marmite. A new all black Cactus, on 17" black alloys.

I bet you got offered nothing for that on part ex :(

I'd of kept it

I bet you got offered nothing for that on part ex :(

I'd of kept it

Yeah, just the equivalent of about £350. I thought about keeping and slowly restoring it but decided against. Two-car household , so it would have to be really good to warrant the reduction of parking space. That said, there's an almost fully factory spec'd version up for sale over here. Was REALLY tempted to buy that instead but I need a little more boot space now and just want hassle-free driving (hopefully) with my 2-year warranty. But if I come into some money and it's still on sale I might buy that one and stick it in the garage. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456506274.227856.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456506341.326908.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456506380.862836.jpg

Hasn't got fogs, which I could have taken from mine. No Bose, parking sensors. Everything else, including headlamp washers and rear cup holders!

When I saw your location, I thought this would be 250,000 kms, but no, it's miles! Fantastic.

And congratulations on your choice of new car. The car market is dominated by "me-too" lookalikes but the Cactus is individual with a bit of flair. I like the fact that it doesn't ry to look aggressive or pseudo sporty.

Thanks. Picked it up today. Very happy so far! And yes that's 250k miles!!! Great cars!!

Yeah, just the equivalent of about £350. I thought about keeping and slowly restoring it but decided against. Two-car household , so it would have to be really good to warrant the reduction of parking space. That said, there's an almost fully factory spec'd version up for sale over here. Was REALLY tempted to buy that instead but I need a little more boot space now and just want hassle-free driving (hopefully) with my 2-year warranty. But if I come into some money and it's still on sale I might buy that one and stick it in the garage. View attachment 22667 View attachment 22668 View attachment 22669

That looks a lovely car how much is that?

Cars are hugely inflated over here. Denmark has a 180% tax on them. So this would set me back around £7-7500 after knocking him down a bit. And that's a petrol that's done about 120k miles. But all the same, I came very close. Looks really well looked after.

Last edited:
Cars are hugely inflated over here. Denmark has a 180% tax on them. So this would set me back around £7-7500 after knocking him down a bit. And that's a petrol that's done about 120k miles. But all the same, I came very close. Looks really well looked after.

That is a lot

You'd be better importing another British one

I like the steering wheel on that one I wouldn't mind one of those on my sport

Reactions: Tai
Well spotted, all of the pillars and the headliner have been retrimmed in black alcantara.

Steve B

Take a picture for me when you can id love to see that

I've always had a thing for black headlining if be tempted to get that done myself

I will post sone when i get home.
I have OSS and have "de-screened" it to keep it in the "black" theme.

Steve B

I can only find one that shows the headlining, but you can also what an OSS looks like when de-screened.

Steve B

SAM_0219.JPG

Back