A definitive answer on longer ratio gears - not just 5th?

Swalsey

Hi all,

After searching the forum I can't find the answers I'm looking for - I wish I could read german!

I wonder whether anybody has fitted a 1.2TDI gearbox to a 1.4TDI, or that from a Polo Bluemotion / Seat equivalent? I'm looking for longer legs without compromising back country roads where the 0.75 ratio is ideal, so 4th is too high. Longer 3rd, 4th and 5th, or 6 speed seems better then just longer 5th for my driving.

Another though - has anybody found a way of increasing the final drive, or a viable 6 speed box? Talk seem to have dried up since the 5th gear thread!

Hopefully I can plan a summer project :)

Thanks in advance,

Thanks GrimReaper - I'll have a go with that.

Thank Spike, I read that before posting but it didn't seem to amount to any (relatively) easy solution, no answers as to what and how...

Thats more what I wanted, thanks Graham! I think I'll focus my enquiries on a Blue-motion 5 speed or similar...

i am sure what you are looking for can be achieved, money no object.... Skipton enquired aboiut changing the final drive some time ago and was quoted over £800...... The 5th gear only upgrade is in my opinion the only cost effective solution for adressing teh relatively low gearing.

Taller tyres (within limits to avoid rubbing) is the cheaper and easier solution to raise the final ratio. If the tyres are due for replacing, I'd even say that it's a free solution.

Hi

I'm planning to go to 205/45 when mine are due for replacement; aparrently that'll give an extra 3mph (ish) :)

Thanks,

Last edited:
Are you on 17s? I run 215/40 which is larger diameter so slightly longer overall final drive I guess - the speedo is now completely bang on accurate too. Getting 53mpg at the moment so still plan to do the 5th gear mod

Hi

Yeah, I'm on 205/40/17 at the moment. I used a tyre size calculator, the diameter is about another cm IIRC from 215/40 to 205/45. I'm driving like a saint to be getting high 60s at the moment, but I'm yet to do a whole tank as carefully as possible... it's hard work!

Back