A funny old day...

Bri76

Yesterday on the motorway my car (1.4tdi) started to lose power, no warning lights or smoke; managed to get back home, got on here to see what it could be and the general consensus was possibly an air leak to the turbo.

Today I made a start, no obvious signs of damaged pipes or a problem with the turbo. Took undertray off - nothing obvious from underneath either.
Was halfway through putting things back together when the bloke who lives down the road came along... Now, he is always "messing" with cars and to be honest I've heard that he isn't very good either.

Well, told him what the problem was, and without asking he starts to mess about at the back of the engine near the turbo. Now, to be fair, he may have found the problem - two pipes one brown, one blue were disconnected, the thing is I have no idea where he shoved them or if he shoved them back the right way round?

He the proceeds to remove the air intake thing from the top of the engine (so he can get better access), removes the rubber trim from the top of the engine bay, pulls off the plastic trim from below the windscreen (to access the bolts for the air intake), breaks one of the windscreen washer jets in the process, shoves the 2 pipes in to God knows where (after removing all the heatproof tape from them), then sods off to leave me to put everything back together.

I had to leave it as it is for today as the light was fading, so I'll put it back together tomorrow - but I need to try and fix the windscreen jet before it all goes back together.

I don't suppose anyone can shed any light on the 2 pipes he was messing with and where exactly they go?

Anyway... it's been a strange day, I don't really like anyone messing with my car (unless it's a proper garage) or leaving it half done, but I didn't have the heart to tell him to stop

The two pipes down the bacl , i presume he was checking were connected? One is for the wastegate and control boost pressures.it connects on the right hand side.of turbo onto a nipple one diaphragm like the egr valve. One is for the pressure of the turbo near that butcover to engine block. There's another one is for egr on top of engine in middle.

Have you tried driving the car? Apart from sodding off and leaving you with a problem he tackled it far more confidently than I would have done. Could he have got it right?
I'm not sure how the wastegate vac connection could become disconnected on a motorway. I have no doubt that was what he was messing with. Also I would have thought that being disconnected would have resulted in an increase in power? The only time 2 times my TDi lost power but ran otherwise, if a bit rough:
Blown intercooler
Large pipe blown off at EGR valve

Edit: I did some testing of a waste gate recently. It is +ve pressure not vac actuated. Disconnecting the pipe would result would result in over not under boost.
Has over boost, likely on a motorway, blown something else?

Last edited:
TDI AMF engine

Hi,
A couple of diagrams.
Diagram 1 the whole vacuum system.
IMG-20230203-WA0002.jpg

Diagram 2 the N75 turbo boost control vacumm system.
20240114_030013.jpg

These will help trace the vacuum hoses to the right locations.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried driving the car? Apart from sodding off and leaving you with a problem he tackled it far more confidently than I would have done. Could he have got it right?
I'm not sure how the wastegate vac connection could become disconnected on a motorway. I have no doubt that was what he was messing with. Also I would have thought that being disconnected would have resulted in an increase in power? The only time 2 times my TDi lost power but ran otherwise, if a bit rough:
Blown intercooler
Large pipe blown off at EGR valve

Edit: I did some testing of a waste gate recently. It is +ve pressure not vac actuated. Disconnecting the pipe would result would result in over not under boost.
Has over boost, likely on a motorway, blown something else?
Put everything back together and fixed the windscreen washer. I drove it to the car wash which involved going up a few hills, and it seems to be pulling ok. So it looks like he's sorted it in an odd kind of way. I'll sort him out with some beers for his help. I'm not too sure exactly what he did, but if it goes again I'll at least have a better idea of where to look. Big test will be on the motorway again later this week.

Fingers crossed

The two pipes down the bacl , i presume he was checking were connected? One is for the wastegate and control boost pressures.it connects on the right hand side.of turbo onto a nipple one diaphragm like the egr valve. One is for the pressure of the turbo near that butcover to engine block. There's another one is for egr on top of engine in middle.
He pulled the brown pipe up - it wasn't connected, same with the blue one, so I'm assuming that was the problem and he didn't just pull them off!
It seems to be ok for the short drive I just did

Back