A good reason to change your gearbox oil

Craig

So I decided to change my gearbox oil today and this is what came out

20161222_150358.jpg

I think you'll agree it's pretty dirty

I always use a length of garden hose with a funnel on the end. Always undo the filler before before undoing the drain plug.

what Oil have you refilled with ?
I topped mine up with about 3/4 litre of 80 gear oil as this was all I had at the time. It was fine in the warmer weather, but now it is cold the gear change from 1st to 2nd is a bit stiff when cold, after about 5 miles it is OK. I suspect that the gear oil is now a little thick

I changed mine at about 135000, it looked equally disgusting and smelt foul,(as does all gearbox oil). I used the correct spec oil, but from the local motor factors (or Opie Oils - can't remember). I always had a slight graunch on the first change from 1st-2nd on cold mornings, unfortunately it made no difference to that, but it had to be worth doing anyway.

Nice one, i want to do ours soon as its nearly at 140k and doubt its ever been changed! tempted to add an additive maybe?..... can of worms i know! was going to price up the oil from VW with discount as they do good rates with discount, got G13, two bottles so 3 litres for about £13 i think the other day.

Nice one, i want to do ours soon as its nearly at 140k and doubt its ever been changed! tempted to add an additive maybe?..... can of worms i know! was going to price up the oil from VW with discount as they do good rates with discount, got G13, two bottles so 3 litres for about £13 i think the other day.
Do they call the Gearbox oil G13 too? I thought G13 was the coolant.

I changed the Gearbox oil to Bluemotion oil.

Back