A new earth

in9999

A2OC Donor
So today i tried to establish if a bad earth, (the one under the passenger headlight) was the cause of an issue I had with the car the other day. Unfortunately, despite a healthy dose of penetrating oil and winding the bolt back and forth...it sheared. Now I need to ask the following questions...

Is the earth point/cable that I was directed to the one from the starter motor.

Without drilling the old bolt out (not an easy place to get to) where can I route the cable to get a decent earth. At the moment I am using one of the bolts from the bracket, but now the battery light flickers on the dash.

What other checks can I do before I have to suspect the charging light maybe an alternator.

Last edited:
So today i tried to establish if a bad earth, (the one under the passenger headlight) was the cause of an issue I had with the car the other day. Unfortunately, despite a healthy dose of penetrating oil and winding the bolt back and forth...it sheared. Now I need to ask the following questions...

Is the earth point/cable that I was directed the one from the starter motor.

Without drilling the old bolt out (not an easy place to get to) where can I route the cable to get a decent earth. At the moment I am using one of the bolts from the bracket, but now the battery light flickers on the dash.

What other checks can I do before I have to suspect the charging light maybe an alternator.
This thread is only a month old and should help...

Andy

Temporarily you can fit a jumper lead between the engine and the chassis. But as you have already "removed" the earth by shearing the bolt the above post is the way to go. You will see that I have both earths on my car.

Back