A2 1.2 TDI - Intermittent clutch not disengaging.

Erling

Car new Sept 2005 and only covered 111,000 miles mainly on motorways, so clutch use probably less than 30,000 miles of urban commuting.

During the last 30k miles I've asked 3 separate UK Audi dealers to check out slow clutch disengagement on downchanges, all no fault found (to be fair, symptom reported has been a low frequency vibration on downchanges/low road speed/light load that I now link to clutch drag).

I now have an intermittent problem of no clutch disengagement and/or gear downchanging braking within first 1-6 miles from some first cold weather (+5 to - 10 deg C) start of the day.

Car stalls in the gear it is stuck in when I slow down. I go through 'ignition off, gear selector lever to stop/park position, press brake pedal, turn ignition key to start' routine and generally car starts OK and its clutch function is restored.
Sometimes I've had to make several attempts before starter will respond to ignition key (back to ignition off, gear selector lever to neutral/drive and back to stop/park position, press brake pedal and turn ignition key to start position).

Brake light switch is confirmed OK!

During the last 30k miles I've asked 3 separate UK Audi dealers to check out slow clutch disengagement on downchanges, all no fault found (to be fair, symptom reported has been a low frequency vibration on downchanges/low road speed/light load that I now link to clutch drag).

Car new Sept 2005 and only covered 111,000 miles mainly on motorways, so clutch use probably less than 30,000 miles of urban commuting.

I now seem to be getting an intermittent, but now 'hard' fault. I noticed RAB's recent comment re clutch adjustment/calibration during routine major service - are UK dealers likely to have done this - or even know they should???

Whatever, any ideas out there in the UK A2 1.2 TDI community as to root cause of my car's intermittent cold weather failure to disengage its clutch and downchange - software/hardware?

Thanks,

Erling

Back