A2 1.4 2001 activated charcoal filter problem?

got VAG COM errors

17961 - Barometric / Manifold Pressure Signals: Implausible Correlation
P1553 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17912 - Intake Air System: Leak Detected
P1504 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

doing a bit or research on here and on workshop cd, think it may be activated charcoal filter or solenoid.

another clue is i can here like a compressor pump 'drrrrrrr' ing noise from behind drivers front wheel. i discovered this is where the A.C.F is - workshop CD show a sequence to replace - is this common or is it the vave.

any help appreciated. thanks :rolleyes:

Angelo

Acf

thanks spike, yes been readin threads on here till late last night!

the noise seems to come from where the ACF itself is located. the soleniod makes a healthy? quiet clicking noise.

EPC and engine light come on intermittently.

think i need to investigate ACF (take off wheel housing liner) as all the parts in question are not cheap *surprised* :rolleyes:

i'm just wondering if it my be the ECU on it's way out as some other errors come up.

on a foot note. just replaced the indicator relay as it was working ok but would intermittently click like mad when indicators were in-active. Followed the how to on here (thanks!) but the problem still persists.:mad:

ABS/traction lights come on occasionally also but seem to go off

.....wondering if all these problems point to an ECU with dementure ??

cheers, Angelo

Last edited:
Same here!

Any news on this one? I get the barometric fault. EPC, ABS, traction control light loud beeping, and some small drivability issues.
I also hear a sort of knocking sound which sound like it come from the right wheel arch when I pull over and put my head in the engine bay. Charcoal valve or filter???

What does the charcoal filter do, and what could the sound be?

Cheers,

PS: Its driving me mad!

Was just out listening at the engine. The sound definitely comes from activated charcoal filter. But if it is the valve or the filter it self making the noise, I cant determine. My guess it is the valve turning it self on and off. But why? And could that be related to my EPC, ABS, and traction control lights coming on, and the fault code with the barometric /manifold preassure -intermitted?

Cheers,

Any news on these faults? Having same problems with EPC, ABS,TC lamps, car sometimes turns itself off when driving and pressing the cluch, any ideas? I'm getting these faults:

17566 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71): Implausible Signal
P1158 - 35-00 - -
17586 - Linear O2 Sensor; Pump Current: Open Circuit
P1178 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Back