A2 1.4 aua gearbox oil change.

Hello all i planing to do a oil change on my gearbox model 02T ( The car is A2 2003 1.4 AUA engine). Now i'm doing a little research were are the fill in port and fill out port. I found a picture and a video. Can you give me a little more information for how much oil i need to put in?

Yes either 1.9 or 2l of oil.

Make sure you open the top port first as if you cant after you have emptied the oil you may be stuck.

What's the recommended service interval to change it? Don't think mines ever been done, even though it's silky smooth gear changes.

There isn,t a recommended gearbox oil change interval on manual cars - it suggests that if you do change it to use a 90 grade synthetic gear oil.
Ta
Dave
:)

What's the recommended service interval to change it? Don't think mines ever been done, even though it's silky smooth gear changes.

There are a couple of views on that, one "Audi source" apparently said that these are sealed for life (strange then that they have a level and drain plug)
Some say to leave "well enough alone".

Others recommend changing the oil, as often as every 50K miles or so.

I favour the latter and at the very least you should check the level and top it up as often as you can (something like every year or two?)

Steve B

There are a couple of views on that, one "Audi source" apparently said that these are sealed for life (strange then that they have a level and drain plug)
Some say to leave "well enough alone".

Others recommend changing the oil, as often as every 50K miles or so.

I favour the latter and at the very least you should check the level and top it up as often as you can (something like every year or two?)

Steve B

Cheers Steve

Will put that onto the to do list.

... Others recommend changing the oil, as often as every 50K miles or so.

I favour the latter and at the very least you should check the level and top it up as often as you can (something like every year or two?) ...

I've heard 'when you change the cambelt' as well - this does make quite a bit of sense since it is easy to remember

I asked guys at Audi in Germany to change the gear oil, they said they never change it if everything's fine with the gearbox.

I asked guys at Audi in Germany to change the gear oil, they said they never change it if everything's fine with the gearbox.

Trouble is they don't know everything is fine until it's too late.

All oil deteriorates with age and water can build up in the gearbox through condensation and sometimes through external leak paths like worn seals in the gearchange tower.

Some owners who have done the oil change found various issues like extremely low oil levels, water contamination etc.

I think a 5 year change period is a good preventative maintenance measure which is not expensive to do. I'd recommend using genuine Audi oil as it's not expensive and seems to give the best gearchange, especially in cold weather

Cheers Spike

Back