A2 1.4 SE Break Down

denny

Hi

I've had my A2 for a couple of years with no real problems, it's 2001 and done 52k miles. Then last night it cut out as I accelerated up to speed on a motorway. The low fuel warning beeped as the engine cut out. There were no load noises as it cut out and it would'nt start again, it turned over but wouldn't catch at all.

The mechanic that came out checked that it had a spark, it did. Plugged his computer in and checked for error codes but there weren't any. Checked the cam belt, one was quite loose but neither had broken. He sprayed quick light straight into the engine as I turned it over but it wouldn't ignite. He was confused but his best guess was that the loose cam belt had slipped/jumped a couple of teeth.

Has anyone else encountered these circumstances and/or have any idea what it might be?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Hi denny, welcome to the A2oc
Crank speed sensors are known to fail on petrol cars and this is the only sensor on the engine which will cause it to cut out. Think I read they don't always log a fault code so its worth checking.
The slipped timing is feasible and could happen if the belt tensioner fails. I'm guessing your car has not had the cambelt replaced. Although the mileage is low they should be changed every 4 (or maybe 5) years. Now could be a good time to have it done. If you do, change small belt which links the cams and the water pump at the same time.

Cheers Spike

Thank you for those. I think if it had been a fuel issue the quick light would still have ignited in the engine when I turned it over, I know it definitely had fuel in, from the mileage since I last filled up as well as the gauge.

It was the smaller of the two belts that was slack, the inside one that runs horizontally and is closest to the engine block, it's also light in colour. Is this the one that connects the cam to the water pump?

Quite exciting this, first time on any forum!

Thank you again!

Back