A2 1.4 tdi 75 front suspension knocking

coola2

Hi

Have a knocking noise from the front end and need to gather some parts.

Local garage has suggested that a spring is supposedly broken, and shocks are leaking, so I guess it makes sense to do a front end overhaul. Car is something like 170-180k (can’t remember :))

Where is the best place to grab everything? Is there a shop on ebay that does the whole lot as a package? (shocks, springs, bearings, mounts etc etc)

The car is a 1.4 tdi 75, 4 seat (now only 2!) factory sport model. Usually carries just me, occasionally the odd spare parts for other cars in the back!

I’ll add anymore details when I can think of them.

Not sure if I’m expecting too much, but would have thought someone on here will know at least a few basic details that I’m asking for :)

Right now, need to know which front springs I need (either original PN, or a decent brand like sachs, bilstein, boge) not keen on some of the cheapskate brands online at euroCP etc.

It’s a 1.4 tdi 75 4 seater
No sunroof
Everything is standard as far as I know

Going to start with replacing the shocks, springs and top mounts at the front. And see where I need to go from there onwards.

If anyone can recommend any other simple and cost effective jobs to do along the way, please do so!

Kyb on ebay have been good for me but consider the kyb 1.4 petrol springs as they seem to offer a better ride height.
Top mounts, springs, shocks, shocker to knuckle pinch bolts and nuts, front brake flexis if not replaced recently

Not sure if I’m expecting too much, but would have thought someone on here will know at least a few basic details that I’m asking for :)

Right now, need to know which front springs I need (either original PN, or a decent brand like sachs, bilstein, boge) not keen on some of the cheapskate brands online at euroCP etc.

It’s a 1.4 tdi 75 4 seater
No sunroof
Everything is standard as far as I know

Going to start with replacing the shocks, springs and top mounts at the front. And see where I need to go from there onwards.

If anyone can recommend any other simple and cost effective jobs to do along the way, please do so!
You might consider changing the drop links while doing the front struts, Meyle HD get the thumbs up on this forum for quality, should be able to source on the Bay quite easily. Then of course you could inspect the ARB bushes, another relatively low cost front suspension item

best wishes

J

Haven’t got round to doing anything to this, due to having other cars to use while it’s sat around broken.

I need to pickup some parts soon but kind of difficult to figure out which exact springs I should be buying (without getting them off the car?)

Is there a way to know my exact spring requirements without taking them off ? I don’t have a ramp or access to one, so it’s a bit difficult to check it out myself.

I just want to pickup the springs, shocks, and top mounts, and get them fitted to the car asap now!

If someone knows the specific bits I’ll need, please help with the part numbers so I can get them ordered and have my car back on the road asap!

Thx everyone for your response.

As above colour codes on the springs. Just turn your steering on full lock and shine a torch in there, wipe codes with a cloth.

If there are no codes somebody will have a factory TDi 75 Sport and can check for you. I can't help as I have factory towing springs on my TDi 75.

Been slacking but finally found out that my springs are / should be 6Q0411105AD

When I search on ECP, autodoc etc etc, some come up but they don’t specifically state for Sports suspension cars…

All kind of brands, I seem to have found a pair of bilstein or sachs shocks for a good deal. Still stuck on the correct springs that I should be going for! Besides original Audi (I would if they weren’t £85? Each!)

The springs for Sport and non-Sport A2's are the same. As I understand it, the 10mm difference in ride height came from thinner lower mounts on the Sport. The springs still differ between A2's depending on the engine (for the front) and OSS/non-OSS (for the rear), which cause the front/rear axle weights to fall into different bands, needing different specifications to handle.

The springs for Sport and non-Sport A2's are the same. As I understand it, the 10mm difference in ride height came from thinner lower mounts on the Sport. The springs still differ between A2's depending on the engine (for the front) and OSS/non-OSS (for the rear), which cause the front/rear axle weights to fall into different bands, needing different specifications to handle.
Also different for a factory tow bar.

It’s taken me this long to realise that!!! Thank you both for clarifying it. I was wondering why I couldn’t find the sport specific, and I must have just completely overlooked it if it’s been mentioned somewhere before.

Mine is Sport with no sunroof and no tow bar.

Its always baffled me how Audi made several different types of springs for the A2 depending on weight etc. Aftermarket ones look as though one size fits all and they appear to work fine. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Hi

Local garage has suggested that a spring is supposedly broken, and shocks are leaking, so I guess it makes sense to do a front end overhaul. Car is something like 170-180k (can’t remember :))

Where is the best place to grab everything? Is there a shop on ebay that does the whole lot as a package? (shocks, springs, bearings, mounts etc etc)

The car is a 1.4 tdi 75, 4 seat (now only 2!) factory sport model. Usually carries just me, occasionally the odd spare parts for other cars in the back!

On my non-OSS, 1.4tdi 75 4 seater, non-sport model I have now got a front suspension (and big brake) setup as follows :

If you've got the narrower sport spring seats cited above that should resolve the slightly higher ride height I noted when I first fitted these (bearing in mind that they were replacing originals that may have been running slightly low at the time being ~130,000 miles old originals).

I have Monroe SP3248 front springs fitted on both of my Tdis - one with OSS and the other without, one with B6 Bilstein shocks (front, B4 rear) and the other Bilstein B4 all round. In both cases the ride is firm (but not harsh), but still with decent ride height for our ropey roads. One of the most important contributions to good quality ride and lack of knocking was assiduously going round and replacing all of the knackered rubber bushes (ARB, drop links), spring seats, bump stops, and top mounts at the front as all 3 of our cars needed the entire lot doing. I have used a lot of Febi Bilstein bits for this (conveniently there are a few sets which comprise things like ARB bushes, drop links, bolts etc., all in one part number easily available from places like AVS on Ebay as cited above by @herx - also sometimes featuring in discount deals if you get the right month in Ebay.

If you need more part numbers I can hunt them out - otherwise have a look at the following link to identify kit part numbers, then hunt for the part number on Amazon / Ebay to get the best price (is my usual approach).

narrow the parts categories down to the "Axle / Wheel suspension" ; "Suspension" ; or "NVH" categories as various bushes and parts come up in all of these and it is worth going through all of them.

Hi

What are all your build codes?

There are about 180 build codes.

This seller on ebay can supply all your car's build codes for about 3 Euros (about £2.50)

Search "Audi VIN decoder factory options" on ebay to find the listing

From the Audi parts catalogue it looks like one of the build codes for cars with sports suspension is either 1GL or G08 depending on the car's VIN number, ie. date of manufacture. These two build codes are related to the car's suspension, ie. parts such as springs, shock absorbers, bump stops, etc. However, there are other build codes that are also needed to work out what suspension parts were fitted in the factory.

If you have build code 0YK and either 1GL or G08 you will have 8Z0511115AG rear springs. However, 8Z0511115AG isn't available aftermarket. This is an important point, because if you can't get all the parts that you need for a sports suspension setup it might be better to fit standard ride height parts instead.
18Z0511115AGCoil spring
2 paint marks
2 paint marks
1 paint mark

orange
green
yellow
2PR-0YK+1GA,
1GL,G07,G08

If you do have 8Z0511115AG rear springs, it might be better going for standard ride height front and rear height suspension because 8Z0511115AG rear springs are not available aftermarket.

Bilstein B4 front shock absorbers are available in two types for the Audi A2, standard ride height and sports suspension.

Bilstein B4 22-105813 front shock absorbers are for standard ride height, as these are sold to replace 8Z0413031AB and 8Z0413031AD

Bilstein B4 22-196309 front shock absorbers are for sports suspension, because these are sold to replace 8Z0413031P and 8Z0413031AC

The "vw codes decoder" can be used to find out what the build codes mean.

VW Codes Decoder

Bilstein B4 19-106120 rear shock absorbers are sold to replace both 8Z0513025E and 8Z0513025J, but not 8Z0513025M and 8Z0513025N
78Z0513025ERear shock absorber (sports suspension)2PR-0N1+1GL+
G08
78Z0513025JRear shock absorber (standard ride height)2PR-0N1+1GA,
G07

Last edited:
Back