A2 1.4TDI BHC 75hp 2005 - consider to buy - what shall I look for ?

dieselfan

A2OC Donor
Dear Forum,

I have had some 1.2 and 1.4TDIs, all of them have been the early ones AMF and ANY. All of them have been bought "well worn" and are still worn+.....

Now I have been offered one of the last 2005 models and it looks good on the pictures... interior is ok, it has heated front seats, no oil leaks, ok rims, good winter tires and have about 130' miles on the odo.... so for me there are very few drawbacks. Only challenge is that it is a day travel each way to look at the car....

Please, could you help me:
  • to find good questions to rise with the owner so I can try to sort out most on the phone (and by seller supplying me with the right pictures)
  • make me aware og differences between the early models and the 2005 (I have absolutely no clue about the newer once and the BHC engine)
Is it correct that one cannot blind off the EGR on the BHC without getting error codes/alarms ?
Is it easier to fit double DIN to the 2005 compared with the early ones ?
Why are the 2005 heavier than the 2002 ?
Is conversion to MYP gearbox easier on a 2005 compared to the early ones ?

Every little hint will be to great help to me :)

dieselfan

One significant change is the bigger fuel tank after 2004 (42L) - that for me was the critical factor in going for an '04 compared to the much greater number of '02s around with similar mileage.

Brilliant ! Robin, that is a very valid point for me as well :)

Any other that have advices for me ?

Brilliant 747tech ! Safety is of cause very valid and in this case also fairly easy to document by pictures, request for pictures is already sent to seller :)

Dear Forum,

I have had some 1.2 and 1.4TDIs, all of them have been the early ones AMF and ANY. All of them have been bought "well worn" and are still worn+.....

Now I have been offered one of the last 2005 models and it looks good on the pictures... interior is ok, it has heated front seats, no oil leaks, ok rims, good winter tires and have about 130' miles on the odo.... so for me there are very few drawbacks. Only challenge is that it is a day travel each way to look at the car....

Please, could you help me:
  • to find good questions to rise with the owner so I can try to sort out most on the phone (and by seller supplying me with the right pictures)
  • make me aware og differences between the early models and the 2005 (I have absolutely no clue about the newer once and the BHC engine)
Is it correct that one cannot blind off the EGR on the BHC without getting error codes/alarms ?
Is it easier to fit double DIN to the 2005 compared with the early ones ?
Why are the 2005 heavier than the 2002 ?
Is conversion to MYP gearbox easier on a 2005 compared to the early ones ?

Every little hint will be to great help to me :)

dieselfan
I'm certain double din is the same on all models. Later models were poorly specified (in the UK at least). EGR delete is easily achieved using depronman (Paul) remap which I can recommend, releases 105(ish)bhp and some extra Nm too. :) I think the MYP conversion is the same across the engine variants.

Early cars have a mechanical speedo drive on the gearbox with a plug-in signal generator.
Later cars don't have this and utilise the ABS speed signal for the speedo with no plug-in drive facility on the gearbox.
This makes fitting any suitable late model gearbox on a 2005 A2 much simpler as the gearbox does not need a speedo drive retrofit.

The BHC engine uses an electronically controlled EGR valve. A neat EGR delete pipe is available from Allard but will need the remap as indicated above to avoid continual fault codes
Fairly sure the BHC engine meets Euro4 (Thanks Paul) emissions which may help to avoid congestion charges if you travel in 'regulated' Towns and Cities

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
spike, I think you mean BHC engine meets Euro 4 (not euro 5)

Dieselfan - My remap will certainly remove the EGR on the BHC engine, as already been stated the MYP conversion will be simpler on the later cars due to no speedo issues. The 2DIN dash is the same job to retrofit on all A2's. Tom and myself swapped dashes on my 2 A2 single to double, we did the pair in the day, I started at 9am, Tom arrived about 11am and both cars where complete by 6pm. It does help when you have done it before (me once Tom many times) Tom is quoting from memory where the screws are and the torq key required / long ext / short ext etc, the man is simply an A2 legend.

damadgeruk and spike, many thanks for brilliant info !!

Very glad to hear that MYP swap is easy on the 2005/BHC.
despite my short experience with the Forum... depronman have already supplied me with filter drain screw and dipstick repair kits :) So with all the recommendations he have got in here... I will of cause like to install his re-map even if that mean that I will have to manage without the brain for three weeks as long as I trust I will be very pleased with the result :)

Any that know anything I will miss from the early models ?? (until now it looks that we only have found positives with the 2005 / BHC.

dieselfan

Brilliant Paul !! (did not see your replay before I posted #9, they probably crossed the North Sea simultaneously... :) )

Very useful clarifications :) For the 2 DIN I guess I will need a weekend to manage 1x A2 then due to unusual high number of thumbs (10 of 10) :)

Remap - I have read some of the story though new posts with more info pups up every time I search... interesting and impressive, especially for one like me, not even know how to use a VCDS...
I have been close to take contact wrt to the Dutch remap I am running on one of my AMFs, I thought it could be interesting to do a little parameter study for you if you do not have this 94hp eco map available already ?

I do not have equipment to read out the map nor the knowledge to do the job... can though probably get help from a friend if it is interesting.

dieselfan

Super !! Had no clue, and a huge advantage for me :) Did that lead to larger battery and alternator too ?

I am so amazed by all the valuable feedback, and so glad I asked the question here :)

Last edited:
Brilliant Geoff !! My two early AMFs are equipped with 90 A alternator and 75 Ah battery (both imported from Germany)

This specific car with BHC engine do meet Euro 4L as per the attached Tüv certificates for the export from Germany.
Do all 2005 models have ISO fix in the back seats ? (I have asked the owner but he have no clue if he have or not..)

Brilliant Paul !! (did not see your replay before I posted #9, they probably crossed the North Sea simultaneously... :) )

Very useful clarifications :) For the 2 DIN I guess I will need a weekend to manage 1x A2 then due to unusual high number of thumbs (10 of 10) :)

Remap - I have read some of the story though new posts with more info pups up every time I search... interesting and impressive, especially for one like me, not even know how to use a VCDS...
I have been close to take contact wrt to the Dutch remap I am running on one of my AMFs, I thought it could be interesting to do a little parameter study for you if you do not have this 94hp eco map available already ?

I do not have equipment to read out the map nor the knowledge to do the job... can though probably get help from a friend if it is interesting.

dieselfan
Maybe my loan ECU service would be of interest to you
it basically involves me sending you a loan ECU which has the my remap installed and the immobiliser removed
You install the ECU to your car and check that it is suitable for you, if so you send me your ECU and I remap it for you and send it you back
You then install your own ECU and return the loan ECU to me

The remap costs £25 if you do it via this method, plus whatever the postage costs are to ship the the ECU's from to Norway
(the bench flashing of the remap causes some fault codes to be logged on the ECU, but if the ECU is for an AMF engine then I can clear these codes prior to sending the ECU, by fitting it in my own A2, otherwise you will need a means of clearing the fault codes from the ECU when you have installed it)

Cheers,
Paul (AKA Depronman)

Dear All,

All these brilliant advices gave such confidence that I bought the car by phone and picked it up during the night.
I checked for any fault codes, did not find any, filled the tank and started the 6h trip home.
After 530km, needle have still not touched the 1/2 tank mark.... I really wonder where this will end :)

Many thanks to all of you for the great support !!! (again :) )

Dear All,

All these brilliant advices gave such confidence that I bought the car by phone and picked it up during the night.
I checked for any fault codes, did not find any, filled the tank and started the 6h trip home.
After 530km, needle have still not touched the 1/2 tank mark.... I really wonder where this will end :)

Many thanks to all of you for the great support !!! (again :) )
In not buying much fuel :) Owe I love the A2 TDI for that trait

it basically involves me sending you a loan ECU which has the my remap installed and the immobiliser removed
You install the ECU to your car and check that it is suitable for you, if so you send me your ECU and I remap it for you and send it you back

The remap costs £25 if you do it via this method, plus whatever the postage costs are to ship the the ECU's from to Norway
(the bench flashing of the remap causes some fault codes to be logged on the ECU, but if the ECU is for an AMF engine then I can clear these codes prior to sending the ECU, by fitting it in my own A2, otherwise you will need a means of clearing the fault codes from the ECU when you have installed it)

Cheers,
Paul (AKA Depronman)

Is that a typo? £25?!!! Amazing!

Cheers,
Paul (AKA Depronman)

Is that a typo? £25?!!! Amazing!

No not a typo just a genuine A2OC bargain
I developed the remap for my own A2 and loved it so much that I thought why not offer the remap to other members at a nominal cost. It will get you to 95% of a rolling road remap that will cost you £300+
Cheers Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back