a2 1.6 FSI new owner inlet manifold issue

Right then purchased the car 2 months ago 65000 miles full service history I'm the 3rd owner, service light was flashing, paid £30for a diagnosis on it and the guy has done a runner any ideas or anyone in the south wales area avalible to help? Also connecting rod for the flaps has snapped as told by mechanic any gooduns on here :)

Hi and welcome. Do you mean that the engine light was flashing? as the service due warning is text based and goes after a few seconds. The flap actuator is a reasonably common issue. Its not easy to get to thus the labour charge is quite high for a small part. BUT the question should be asked "why did it break?" the flaps can get stuck-so i would recommend the inlet manifold is removed and the flaps part given a good degrease and check its free to operate over its complete travel.
As a new owner you may not be aware that the fsi engine needs to be run on high octane fuel i.e. tesco momentum etc. Any garage that charges for a scan is in my opinion a cheeky git.(unless you make it clear you have no intention of them fixing it)
good luck mike

Cheers for that, the issue I have is I don't trust garages, too many fitters not enough mechanics, I had a mobile mechanic pop upto have a look he told me it was and it would be a two hour job, but never heard back from him. I heard about the high petrol situation, I need to get it full sorted before I give it a full go, shes not well bless her. Was hoping there was a a2 guro in the south wales area, but I will just have to pop into a garage and see what quote they give me, most of them will not even tough an a2, they are as much use as a life guard in barrymores swimming pool.

1.6fsi BAD engine Inlet Manifold Actuator Sticking

Got the same problem on 1.6fsi BAD engine - my local garage are spot on! took the intake manifold off and serviced the flaps put it all back together and it ran great for 10mins, then engine light on again, took it to bits again and the actuator is sticking / rod is bending? I can't find a replacement actuator nor Manifold with one fitted other than one at £333 quid of Ebay. Does anyone know where we can get a brand new actuator? or suitable used manifold complete with one at a more realistic price? Been trying to locate one for a week! last thing we want to do is scrap her!!:(

Hi i bet you will find that the manifold has not been fitted correctly ---its very easy when re assembly takes place that the location pins get pushed back all the way allowing the tips of the flaps to hit the inlet tracts in the head. The actuator on its own can be got from audi around £70. Hope that helps Mike

Got the same problem on 1.6fsi BAD engine - my local garage are spot on! took the intake manifold off and serviced the flaps put it all back together and it ran great for 10mins, then engine light on again, took it to bits again and the actuator is sticking / rod is bending? I can't find a replacement actuator nor Manifold with one fitted other than one at £333 quid of Ebay. Does anyone know where we can get a brand new actuator? or suitable used manifold complete with one at a more realistic price? Been trying to locate one for a week! last thing we want to do is scrap her!!:(

I don't think you need a new manifold, just a new vacuum actuator.
https://www.amb-trade.de/
I buy parts from these guys, no problems.

Last edited:
Back