a2 1.6fsi cut out and wont start

1.6_fsi

please help if you can, i have searched and cant really find the answer i need.

i brought my mrs a 52 plate a2 1.6fsi just 2 days ago, and today turning up a road near our house it cut out on her and wont start again,
the traction control light, abs light and the epc lights all come on and the dash beeped 3 times then the engine just died, it now turns over and fires up but then cuts straight out, as if its low on fuel but it is 3/4 full and only done 90 miles since filling up.

i have ordered a obd2 lead and will be purchasing vag.com but im just hoping i can get this fixed without having to wait for the postman :lol:

any help will be much appreciated.
cheers dean.

Is the yellow immobiliser icon flashing or is it stationary when you put the ignition on?

Do you have a spare key? if so try that 1st

Where are you situated? one of us near you may be able to run a scan on it for you.

What type of 'obd' lead have you purchased?

Regards
SARGE

i am in sheerness in kent, i have tried the other key and its still the same, the code light goes off with the ignition on so i take it the key is ok.

i am in sheerness in kent, i have tried the other key and its still the same, the code light goes off with the ignition on so i take it the key is ok.

The Immobiliser light flashes when incorrect key is used, and stays on stationary, then goes out when it recognises the correct key.

Your far from me, I am in East London, must be someone nearer to you who can run a scan.

Have a look at the Vagcom owners map on the forum, and see who's closest to you and available.

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
i have investigated it some more to day and found that the electric throttle is not opening, just got to wait for my lead now to see if its the pedal or the throttle body itself.

i now have fully working vag com and lead and will run a test if ever needed by any one local.

my fault turned out to be a faulty throttle body (egr) so ive now ordered one and should be running again by wednesday.

hi 1.6FSi as a fellow owner of an fsi i am interested in your problem---can you tell me one thing. the egr valve and the throttle body are surely two separate items? egr valve (exhaust gas recirculation valve)-- throttle body as in a butterfly that meters the air into the engine. or have i got it all wrong? i hope your new part gets you going again and maybe see you at the social events as there are very few fsi's that attend. all the best sumoa2

well mate i thought like you the egr and throttle body were 2 diffrent parts but i have been looking about the net for new throttle body and most places refere to it as egr.

Hi,

I've done that myself.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?23664-Cleaning-FSI-Throttle-Body

There's a good how to guide on this site:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?22240-How-to-clean-the-Throttle-Body-1-6FSI

You will need some carb cleaner and a toothbrush to do the cleaning and a new gasket for reassembly. Its quite easy to take off and reassemble but I would recommend a proper hose clamp removal tool as using pliers is quite fiddly due to the high tension in the clamps. Keep the black plastic side of the throttle body at the top when cleaning to ensure no cleaner gets into the motor unit.

regards

Andrew

Hi Rich

Not used it but the YouTube video's look good.
Be aware that as the FSI is a direct injection unit, you can't de-coke/clean the valve-stem/intake-area with any fuel additives. To do that you need to feed (dribble) the sea foam directly into the air intake - let us know how you get on if you do this. I think one of the videos shows this in action.

As an aside, I had a repetitive 'misfire on cylinder 3' error and thought (after replacing the coil pack and the error still coming back) that I was heading for a new injector. So nothing ventured, nothing gained I tried Redex injector treatment and after around 60 miles (and a couple of error re-sets later) it seems to be OK - has been clear of error for >200 miles now (fingers crossed).

I use a eBay £16 ODBC Bluetooth module and 'Torque Pro' on my Android phone to read the fault and do the resets - works well!

HTH

Kevin

Does someone know the reference of the MAF ? It seems there is only a few reference to be shared across the VAG range...

Hi ,zaphodbb
I have much the same problem, when cold starting it chuggs a little and set off driving and it clears but chucks up a cylinder 2 missfire. Its had nee plugs ,coil packs etc but returns the next morning after clearing codes but the rest of day its really brilliant and performs as it should with about 44mpgon a run of 15 miles so hence im trying seafoam in tank .
Cheers rich.

@rich
Have you tried the seafoam yet?
Mine is still OK (fingers crossed) but the fuel consumption seems worse (around 38.5mpg) - just filled up again so will see how it goes without any additives/cleaners. Have ordered a set of NGK plugs and plan to fit this weekend.
Kevin

Back