A2 17" tyres 7.5" rims 205 or 215 - that is the question!

Ricardo

A2OC Donor
Hi I know this topic has been mentioned sooooo many times but I have yet to find a definitive answer. I am about to buy a set of replica (RS4) 17" sport wheels which are 7.5" wide from Rochford.

The wheels are about 9mm wider inside and 3mm wider outside given relative offsets.

Rochford strongly recommend the narrowest 205/40/17 tyre they do (Falken) but I would like to fit a 215/40/17 as people with these wheels have said thats what they would do. The Rochford people are playing it safe as they "cant guarentee" the 215's wont rub. Being 4mm bigger in radius.

Has anyone fitted the replacement RS4's to an A2 Sport with 215's? and if so what tyre make and are there any issues?

Or alternativey who has fitted 205's and what do they handle/look like on the wider rims?

I am not bothered about ride quality as the standard Sport setup on 17's is fine for me. I just want to know if I should go with my gut and use 215's or go as Mike @ Rochford suggests! I also dont mind if the car ends up slightly higher geared (I would like that actually) but definately dont want to go lower geared (as stretched 205's would do).

So the questions are...

Have you fitted the Replica 7.5" wide (ET35) RS4's? if so which tyres are you running - size and make/model - and what are your findings?

Help! (& thanks)

p.s. A fast reply would help immeasurably as I need to order them tomorrow!

I haven't fitted replicas, but have replaced my original 17" wheels with genuine Audi TT 7.5J 17" wheels and have Goodyear Eagle F1 215/40 R 17 tyres fitted with no issues at all.

Oh and Tank is lowered by about 35mm and still there are no problems.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for that but the TT wheels have a different offset which means they are the same inner width with the 0.5" on the outside.

I have just trolled through the archives and someone has 17 x 8" with ET35 and says there is no rubbing (also 20mm lower) so maybe its just the tyre guys being overly careful...does make your head spin all this...guess I should go ahead, worse case is shift the tyres on eBay and buy 205's wont loose too much :D Thanks for input.

Ricardo,

I have 17" RS6 ET35 x7.5" wheels also bought from Rochford. My tyres are 205/40 17's and I'll be totally honest: The 205's fit the wheels great, but at the time I did consider an upgrade - I'm glad I didn't. The rears are REALLY close, if the tyres were 10mm wider I'd be very concerned about rubbing and would undoubtedly have to hack away some arch lining. As it is with 205's I haven't noticed any signs of rubbing over 15K miles.

Ian

Thanks for replies, I was considering changing wheels thanks to the vibrations coming through the steering and bad ride which I attributed to bent 17" rims.

However today my front right tyre delaminated (which was nice) so I inspected all of them and realised that the imbalance was possibly from worn inner edges. Looks like tyres have been underinflated for the way I tend to drive. Anyway all my wheels are straight (after 75000 miles!) so I have just got a new set of tyres. Feels MUCH better now :) - but I did notice I now need some new front discs! The lord giveth and the lord taketh away :D

Back