A2 AMF Emissions "sticker"

steveb

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Picking up on another thread, now closed, the Chassis number plate with the emissions figure on is under the carpet on the passenger side front. so it's my understanding the tester is not allowed to lift the carpet to see it, therefore the car is tested to the 3.0 figure for emissions. The same as the tester is not allowed to remove the brake fluid reservoir cap to see how clean the fluid is, madness ....

Picking up on another thread, now closed, the Chassis number plate with the emissions figure on is under the carpet on the passenger side front. so it's my understanding the tester is not allowed to lift the carpet to see it, therefore the car is tested to the 3.0 figure for emissions. The same as the tester is not allowed to remove the brake fluid reservoir cap to see how clean the fluid is, madness ....
Mad indeed, surely this is something we'll be ble to fix when we're no longer governed by the EU! :rolleyes:

the are not allowed to remove the bonnet on the A2, never mind the fluid cap
total madness in my opinion
I always remove it for them so they can have a proper look, always worth a second opinion
If the omission plate is not visible, removed or unreadable, or they simply can't locate it then its checked to the age related limits which are generally wider than the plated limits

Mad indeed, surely this is something we'll be ble to fix when we're no longer governed by the EU! :rolleyes:
The DoT could fix this in a matter of days if it was so inclined, since it has nothing whatever to do with the EU. The rules for testers as they stand have the advantage of reducing the scope of post test disputes in a world where testers aren't necessarily fully au fait with all the technology of any specific car.
If you feel strongly about this, you might want to take the matter up with Chris Grayling, I wish you luck!

The DoT could fix this in a matter of days if it was so inclined, since it has nothing whatever to do with the EU.
Since the 2016 referendum, I'm often surprised by the number of things that people will blame on the European Union.
Compared to other European countries, the UK has extremely lax laws and standards concerning motor vehicles. When my A2 rolls up for its MOT, the tester verifies that it's safe for me and other road users, and then I'm on my way again. Nobody seems concerned that I've modified my gearbox, that I've got a custom intercooler, that I'm running higher-flowing fuel injectors, that my tyre size is non-standard, etc, etc. Our friends over on the German A2 forum look on in envy as we all modify our cars to our heart's desires. As long as our insurance is informed, we're at liberty to do almost whatever we like. We can also buy and sell cars in various states of disrepair without issue or excessive bureaucracy, whilst some other European countries require that the seller proves the safety/conformity of the vehicle before it can be sold.
In this case, it seems that the EU is being blamed for our liberal/casual attitude towards such things. If we had really strict rules concerning motor vehicle testing, no doubt the EU would instead be accused of being draconian.

I rather like the fact that A2OC seems to have largely kept a lid on the Brexit issue. Personally, with the exception of light-hearted jokes, I feel that this site shouldn't really be used as a vehicle for political opinions. But if they must be expressed, I'd implore people to do their research first.

If you feel strongly about this, you might want to take the matter up with Chris Grayling, I wish you luck!
Perhaps he'd hand the consultancy to a hairdressing salon or the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons...!? :p

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
The DoT could fix this in a matter of days if it was so inclined, since it has nothing whatever to do with the EU. The rules for testers as they stand have the advantage of reducing the scope of post test disputes in a world where testers aren't necessarily fully au fait with all the technology of any specific car.
I am aware the DoT has control over such matters, I was aiming for humour, it would appear I missed. I'll stick with the day job.

I was reading about a couple who converted a camper to electric. Nice job made - Tesla batteries.

But... because they are in France there isn’t even a process available yet to allow for such heavy modification to be validated so it has to be trailered to Romania where they can complete the Conformity testing, prove that it’s safe (it’s an electric motor!) and then it will be acceptable to France’s MoT equivalent.

It’s a shame that France aren’t very well set up for modified vehicles but it’s good that the reciprocity agreements in the EU mean that there is at least a workaround.

Maybe they should have come here instead. I know of an MOT guy who will apparently pass ANYTHING...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there have been dodgy testers since MoT tests began. There used to be Police who would stop obvious infringements, like blacked-out front side windows. Now there seems to be a free for all.

I believe there have been dodgy testers since MoT tests began. There used to be Police who would stop obvious infringements, like blacked-out front side windows. Now there seems to be a free for all.

I don’t use the guy - my car failed its last MOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back