A2 battery

redbull_a2

A2OC Donor
My A2 petrol has been stationery for about 6 months so obviously the battery is completely flat. I jump started it with no issues and left it running for about 10-15 minutes then this morning I tried starting it and it's flat again. Has the battery had it ? Just got someone viewing the A2 later so don't know weather to buy new battery?

When batterys are flat they generally need a long road run to fully recharge. If this is not possible then you won,t know if its faulty or not. To save any quibbles from a potential buyer i would consider buying a new one as it is now of an age where it could be faulty and six months is a long time to be stood. Plus its a good selling point. :)

Last edited:
You woukd be durprised how little the battery charges on a run.

I always thought that a one hour run eould almost fully charge the battery but i have found out i was wrong.

If a battery has gone flat it needs a proper charge with a decent battery charger.
If you rely on an alternator for the charge the battery may well be far fron fully charged and it would appear that the battery was faulty.
So i rdcommend whipping it iut and put it on a good battery charger overnight.
Then see how it goes.

Steve B

As fir the viewing. Tell them that the battery has gone flat with it having stood for a while and you will give it a full charge before collection. You coukd akso offer a £50 reduction in price just in case. But the reduction can be factored into the price you woukd accept anyway. So you can both be happy.

Just a thought

steve B

One thing you should not do with a battery is leave it flat for a long time. The plates become covered with lead sulphate and the effect is permanent. When I leave my A2 unused for some time, I put two 10w solar panels in the rear window connected to a charge controller.

RAB

+1 for RABs reply.
There are devices for desulphating batteries. They pulse high voltage low current to remove the sulphate. Powered by the battery or used in conjunction with a charger.

There are devices for desulphating batteries.

I have one of these. Left a battery on charge with it for a couple of days. At the end the battery capacity was the same as when started!

RAB

The originals are all 80Ah, you can go to 74Ah without too much hassle.
278 x 175 x 190 (l x w x h)mm.

it is possible to find something a little larger, but there's not much point.

- Bret

Ok so 80amps 10x. When i buy the car it was with 62amps and it's ok for starting the engine but the headlights change brightness when the rev go up.

Back