A2 - Best handling AUDI??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaine

Past Member
I know we have touched on this subject a few times in the past, however just wanted get a show of hands what you all think.

Now I talking about the standard range cars here and not any S's, nor RS's.

Having driven the new A3, A4 and A8, I can honestly say, hand on heart, that the A2 is the most fun to have down a twisty road. Now of course power is a bit lacking however I always feel so confident when in the middle of a corner in the A2. It seems to be the only one of the four AUDI clasess I have driven that has had its steering sorted - you really know where you are with it.

What is everyone else's feeling / opinion?????

Kaine

Nice topic Kaine, certainly.

Let me start by saying that I have not driven any other Audi than the A2. So I'll have to compare to other cars.
Second, the notion of 'best handling' is once again very much a matter of personal taste and what a person is looking for in a car. Some prefer to go right immediately when you steer right, some prefer to go dead ahead.....(that's a black-and-white comparison, but you get the point).

Back to my opinion: I _love_ the way my A2 drives. It's well behaved with a nice seating position. However, the A2 is also too high to make it a 'cart'. With the standard suspension, that is. I'd love to compare it to sports suspension, but alas, none so far.
On top of the height of the cabin, there is the feeling of the steering wheel. I think the A2 steers a tad too light, too easy. And that, for me, results in a disconnected feeling when going around long curves on the highway and more nervous handling than I'd like.

So bottom line is, for me: I like it, but from experience with none-Audi cars and from the above, I think that there have to be other Audis that behave better.

If it's anything to go by: For the past two days I've been driving a Golf V, as a courtesy car. Not very sporty, in it's standard 1.4 guise, but the steering has more of that solid feeling that I'm after. I don't think it will go around bends quite the way the A2 can (haven't tested it really - have to keep it one part ;) ) but it _feels_ like your in control.

Let's hear the others!

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp) and on its merry way to Germany, ABT, to be chiptuned, finally!

I agree about the steering, great for parking but a bit woolly at speed. Only other I've driven are an S3 and an A4. The A4 didn't handle as well as my Focus, the A3 had 4 wheel drive so it stuck like glue, but the steering was heavy.

Not that I like to admit it, but I have come unstuck a few times in the A2, and found it drifts perfectly with very little understeer. I found the A4 a bit understeer happy.
I do agree on the wooly steering at speed though. Haven't had the pleasure of the Focus myself yet, however friend says its one of the best 'family' cars around.

Kaine

I've only driven two Audis before, an A6 coutesy car that they lent my on the first round of EGR problems - which I barely drove more than 30mph and when I took it round a tight corner (very slowly) I clipped the kerb and completely scratched the left rear wheel (they never noticed when I took it back!). The other was my Uncle's new 225BHP TT roadster, which I did drive fast and found it to be great!

Anyway, before I go too off topic, I have owned several small cars and the A2 is definitely the most fun to drive and chuck around corners. I have never lost confidence in it's stability and grip - even in the snow and ice if driven carefully, it's still fun then!

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE:http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk1.htm Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

A2OC Website | 2004 A2OC Competitions | Join the A2OC!

The A2 handles very well as the racing driver at Castle Combe race track commented when he showed me the racing lines around the circuit. Going from go-karting back to the A2 to drive home yesterday however shows the compromises.

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/mar.htm

After 2 weeks of ownership i can state that the A2 really does have a sporty feel to it.
Having driven most of the Audis i can actually say that it's the most fun to drive after the TT.

I agree with swiv that the A2 is too high, so it just doesn't give that "sticky-road-feeling". But afterall this isn't supposed to be a sportscar either, so just that we can say that it's somewhat better than other more expensice Audis is pretty damn good.

Comparing it to the A4 and the A6 i think it gives a better drive because of the following;
- The low weight, when driving a A6 around a sharp corner it feels like the front of the car is dissapearing into the road. Guess this is caused by the heavy weight of the A6. The A2 on the other hand feels light and stable.

- Driver seat + position of the wheels, because of the short bonnet one is almost sitting above the wheels. I think this gives a better feeling of the curbs.

I don't think it's fair to compare the A2 to the TT, the TT is made as a sportscar, the A2 is supposed to be a familycar.

Haven't actually had the privilige to drive the car on dry roads yet. But the weather has become milder the last 2 days, the temperature has increased from -10 to +10, but the roads are still too slippery (snow & ice) to try anything daring when it comes to corners. But i guess in the summertime when the weather is fine (yeap, that song) i'll take the car out on some winding roads. I can't wait[23]

--
Bigshow

1,4Tdi SE

[37]
A great drive (as I have repeated countless times on this very forum) but it is ecliped by the new A3.
A2 is delightfully neutral and the steering is nicely weighted until about 60 then it is too light. The inevitable body roll due to the high C of G takes its toll on the high speed m way type bends and long fast twisties.
Conversely on narrow tight twisties it is very good not least 'cos you can see OVER the hedge.
Handles very much like my race Imp.[21]
No sniggering please.[8D]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back