A2 big block

Hi
An A2 big block (1.6) with sunroof has come on the market for the equivalent of £1400 here in Norway. Milage is 188 000km. I have an 1,4 without sunroof that runs like a dream and I'll be very sad to see it go, but a larger engine and a sunroof is very tempting, but I have heard horror stories about both. Any advise what I should check before handing over the cash?

I will let the FSI experts give you a fuller picture, but I would ensure the EML light illuminates as you turn the key and is out with the engine running. VERY good idea to have a full VCDS scan done on the car to identify any known issues.

The OSS can leak due to blocked drains or failed sealant and the operating mechanism can break but all can be fixed.

This is by no means a definitive list as there are others areas to watch out for but a brows through the many postings on here will at least make you aware.

Hi
An A2 big block (1.6) with sunroof has come on the market for the equivalent of £1400 here in Norway. Milage is 188 000km. I have an 1,4 without sunroof that runs like a dream and I'll be very sad to see it go, but a larger engine and a sunroof is very tempting, but I have heard horror stories about both. Any advise what I should check before handing over the cash?
The answer is:
Check service history, your equivalent of our MoT history, (to see if it's been loved), and, most importantly, scan it with VAG specific scan tool. If there are lots of codes, they may be historical, so clear them, take a test drive, and scan again. Engine faults can be a problem, (and expensive), particularly those related to the throttle valve and inlet manifold, such as P1031.
When you test drive it, give it some revs. It it's in good health, that'll confirm it, you'll just know ...
Remember, must be run on E5, 98/99 octane. Never E10.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Mac.

Re: OSS
If it does open, keep the tailgate open and the OSS glass should be very close to it when fully open. There is a photo somewhere. If it is more than 5cm away from the open tailgate or so, then it partially opens.

Back