A2 - cheapest in UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmorley

Despite our grumbling that cars in the UK are so expensive - yesterday's European Commission report on car prices reveals that the UK is the cheapest place in the EU to buy an A2:

Shamelessly pilfered from the press release here:
Code:
Austria           15.781  112,4%
Belgium           15.055  107,2%
Germany           15.992  113,9%
Spain             14.355  102,2%
France            14.368  102,3%
Finland           14.046  100,0%
Greece            14.076  100,2%
Ireland           
Italy             14.289  101,7%
Luxembourg        14.879  105,9%
Netherlands       
Portugal          15.032  107,0%   
Denmark           13.875   98,8%        
Sweden            15.608  111,1%
United Kingdom    12.985   92,4%
All prices in Euros and before tax... oh, so that's why they're expensive, then... Obviously there weren't enough owners in Ireland or the Netherlands to be statistically significant [}:)]

Many of the cars, particularly in the "premium" sector look far better value in the UK - Bad luck if you've recently bought a Passat, though: the price is a whopping 133% more than the European baseline [1]

[img=left]http://www.santorini.dsl.pipex.com/a2_avatar.gif[/img=left]Mark.
2003 Azure Blue 1.6 FSI SE

OpenSky | Climate Control | DIS | Isofix + brat | Space-Floor-Box | Satellite Cloth
Electric Rear Windows | Symphony II | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

FYI, in Holland The most basic A2 1.4 costs 13.600 euros. Taxes make it add up to 20.790 euro's in the end.

These pricing schemes are strange.
As I recall it, these prices are sometimes kept low, in order to counteract the high taxes for a certain country. Like in the Netherlands.

Now, EU voices try to straighten out these pricing schemes. Which, for countries with high taxes, means that the cars will get even more expensive for the consumer....
Let's hope that the local governments react by lowering the taxes, or absurd situations could arise!

But as a consumer, I don't care about any of that. I have to focus on that 20.760 euro figure. Not on how much it was sold for to a Dutch dealer.

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT (finally!), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

In Portugal the a2 basis costs 13.966,55
I.A. 3.438,69 car tax
I.V.A. 3.307,76 same as VAT (19%)
P.V.P.* 20.717,00 final price

TCasaca

That's a different figure from that in the list above, Tiago. Strange again.
But then I haven't read the original publication either...

(off to read some of it):

quote:
The reference price for the calculation of differentials for any model is that of the cheapest country within the euro zone. Prices are adjusted for differences in standard equipment, and are given in euro and, where applicable, local currency2, both before and after tax. Prices for major options and for right-hand drive specification are also supplied, together with other information. For some models, further options and variations in standard equipment may exist on certain national markets. It should also be noted that actual retail prices may differ from recommended list prices, as dealers must be free to propose lower prices and to offer additional financial benefits to customers, depending on the market.

That explains it. There's no way we could (easily) supply the same info.
So disregard my earlier post. I guess that this investigation also thought Holland was to difficult ;)

So my conclusion is: I should import a RHD A2 from the UK, so save a few euros.
I don't think so!
But for other cars, where the price differential is bigger, it could pay off.

Thanks for the info, Mark.

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT (finally!), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

quote:Originally posted by swiv

But for other cars, where the price differential is bigger, it could pay off.
Yeah, makes that A8 seem almost affordable... [24]

[img=left]http://www.santorini.dsl.pipex.com/a2_avatar.gif[/img=left]Mark.
2003 Azure Blue 1.6 FSI SE

OpenSky | Climate Control | DIS | Isofix + brat | Space-Floor-Box | Satellite Cloth
Electric Rear Windows | Symphony II | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back