A2 Coil Packs Replaced - Ticking through rear speakers! :s

Morning All,

A few weeks ago, Cylinder 1 Coil Pack went. After an RAC tow to the Audi Garage, and leaving the car there a night, they replaced coil pack 1. All was well until around 10 days later, Cylinder 2 Coil Pack went!! ACK! RAC tow to the Audi garage again this time, they replaced coil packs 2, 3 and 4. Great (ching ching money).

The car is now running good again but I can clearly hear the engine through the rear speakers as ticking which goes to the frequency of the engine revs. Its terribly annoying and even happens with the stereo turned off!!!

Does anybody have any idea how and what would be needed to fix it? as I wont be able to put up with it and my car is now out of warranty so I dont want to have to give more money to Audi :( I am taking the car to them next week when i have free time but he said they have no idea what it could be.

Cheers.
Andrew

Ticking through speakers

Had the same problem when I purchased mine last year. Can't exactly remember what the problem was, but it was something on the back of the stereo that was replaced. Lincoln Audi sorted it straight away.

Thanks, hopefully its something simple. The strange thing i find is that you still get the ticking through the rear speakers when the stereo is switched off.

I know there is the little separate amp under the drivers footwell (i think), so fingers crossed.

I have had the same problem in my A2 since the day I bought it from audi! They replaced the entire stereo and the ticking was reduced to a high pitch noise. And finally today, coil pack needs replacing, so finally the mystery has been solved. Will pay paticular attention to the rear speakers when I get the car back to make sure the sound is no longer there.

I think the problem is most likely to be caused by bad earth. i have read that audi use a common ground which often sends a whine (usaully from alternator) through speakers. skipton will probably know more about this.

Hi Prepeller
When you say ching ching - did you pay for the coil packs to be replaced?

If so go back and ask for your money back, don't take no for an answer. Audi have an extended warranty for coil packs of 5 years from first registration for a2 1,6FSI's, Audi customer service should help you if need be. The good news is though that this problem seems to be cured. I have had 7 coil packs replaced under warranty. The last ones were changed over 12 months ago now, with new design ones, similar experience to you, the car is running great. Still have till November with the guarantee. Never had any strange clicking noises from the stereo thankfully.

Back