A2 Coolant thirsty

Hi all. A2 has needed coolant topping up a couple of times since I did a coolant flush and refill on Sunday.

Not sure if this is just the coolant working it's way through system or what. One concern is that I ran the engine for about ten minutes with virtually no coolant in the radiator. I'm not sure if this would have harmed the engine but I did realise the problem and rectified it straight away.

When the engine was running with the empty radiator, I noticed that the return pipe going into the coolant reservoir was flowing with a frothy sort of coolant. No froth now since I filled the radiator but still sipping that coolant. Mind you I can't have done more than 30 miles or so since the job was done.

Anyone else had this?

id like to no if this is normal to if i go on a long motorway drive the next day i have to fill it up about an inch or two where you put the water in.

Hi Scott ,

My understanding from reading other sources is that a coolant leak will always leave a trace so that you can see where abouts the leak is. I'm no expert but apparently the only other problem that causes accelerated coolant usage is a cracked cylinder head.

I think the coolant in my car was just working it's way through the system as it seems to be holding steady for the time being and I've done a couple of runs. If your coolant is needing topped up regularly then maybe one of the hoses is leaking somewhere or perhaps the radiator has a leak.

Back