A2 lost power

Xiter

In march this year there was a heavy blizzard.
I had been in it driving for about five hours when the engine seemed to have lost approx 80% of the power. I thought the turbo was gone. I pulled over at a gas station to have a look. The grille didn't open due to the ice and snow all over the front end. I took the car inside the warm car wash and used a water hose to clear the grille and to lift the hood off, not knowing where to start looking.

I flushed the bottom of the radiator clear of snow and slowly worked my way over to the oil filler cap which was pretty much invisible due to the heavily packed snow behind the grille. Behind the oil filler cap, the air intake is located. I cleared it from snow but further inside I could still see it was clogged. I found a piece of steel from a disposed wiper blade in the trash I used to reach inside and finally the air intake was clear.
The car ran fine after this, but if you ever get in a blizzard, pull over once in a while and clear the air intake of snow...

Thanks for the tip Xiter - we do sometimes get snow of those proportions in the UK, but it's getting rarer and rarer what with global warming and all!

Cheers,

Mike

Back