A2 slated in today's Independent

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Today's The Independent (17 Feb 06) has an article comparing the labour costs of mechanics with doctors, journalists and junior barristers (not quite a like-for-like comparison, but that's journalists). The article is based on a What Car? survey.

"The survey used a random sample of cars: Audi A2, Alfa Romeo 147, the old-shaped Focus and a Volkswagen Golf Mk4. Each car was presented to dealers with a blown main-beam bulb to repair."

Only the A2's costs were quoted: up to £66 with the bulb costing just £3.96.

It then goes on to quote hourly labour rates both by franchise type and region. No need to repeat those - we all know Audi in London is going to be 4 times the cost of Ford in Scotland.

I wonder if the 4 makes were really chosen randomly. Is the A2 particularly difficult to change the main-beam bulb?

So if selling your A2 (you wouldn't really want to do that, would you!) be prepared for the potential purchaser's question about the cost of changing the bulb and be ready to demonstrate you can do it in 10 mins with your eyes closed ;-)

I was quoted £55.81 + bulb, just to change one bulb, I ended up doing it myself, and changed both bulbs in about 25 mins.

I had a main beam bulb changed while the car was having some warranty work done and was charged £8 by Audi in Hereford

Tell me about it!

I have just been quoted £400 for Audi todo my second large 40,000 mile service.....bit disheartening!

how about calling out Audi assist to change it for you afterall you cant drive a car with one bulb gone so its a sort of break down is it not!!!!

Once Audi assistance is not available any more (out of warranty) all you need is the correct £6 Torrex screw driver to take the right front headlight out to replace the bulbs yourself. The left front one you can change without taking the light cluster off the car. It is not rocket science in the least.

Alan_uk said:
So if selling your A2 (you wouldn't really want to do that, would you!) be prepared for the potential purchaser's question about the cost of changing the bulb and be ready to demonstrate you can do it in 10 mins with your eyes closed ;-)

Just had to replace the Drivers side main beam. It wasn't a ten minute job as it was a bit of a faff but its not difficult. The trickiest part I found was putting the metal clip back on once the head light had been replaced, have a pair of fine point pliers ready (although it might have been easier if my hands hadn't been frozen by the cold temp and biting cold wind :( ). Other than that its a simple case of removing two screws and releasing a cable clip (only on the drivers side) to allow the unit to come forward far enough to work on it.

Coventry Audi quoted £9.40 inc vat for the bulb and £24.68 inc vat if I wanted them to change it!!! However Coventry VW did the same bulb for £8.85 inc vat, so I got it from them. Why the difference in price the bulb and packaging are exactly the same!?!!!

I reckon the stealers charge so much 'cause its a wee bit fiddly, and they can't be a*sed to do it! next time Audi fit a user friendly light cluster!!!!!

I had a headlight bulb changed at a dealer for £14 (bulb and labour) as I was unsure how to do it, so I watched the process.

Unfortunately for the dealer in the process of taking off the bonnet, two edges were chipped and one headlight was scratched. Went back to the dealer to point out these problems and they were dealt with without resistance as they could not say that it had not happened with them. So a simple job to them cost them a small paintjob and a new headlight which I think was around £90.

VW assist changed my drivers dipped beam bulb for the cost of a bulb. Called them out and they came and did the job with no quibble.
Anyone can have VW assist as its an emergency breakdown cover and not a warranty based cover.

Back