A2 Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

EF MAX

Moving away from the marketing hype, has anyone here actually had their A2, especial the TDi chipped.

If yes what is your honest opinion of the increase in performance.

TIA.

I have had my TDI chipped by B&B Automobiltechnik in Germany.
It also includes a K&N replacement filter.

My A2 now delivers 100 hp and 240 Nm !

This does wonders with the driveability of the little diesel :)
The performance of the engine now matches the rest of the car much
better than in original trim !

I am so far VERY pleased with the work that B&B has performed :)

I have so far driven app 5000 km since the modification.

BK

2003 Silver 1.4 TDI 100 hp / 245 Nm S-Line (Sport) with Open Sky, ECC, APS, CruiseControl, Navigation Plus + TV + BOSE + CD changer, Sideguard, Mobile phone, El. rear windows, Fog lights, Winter Package, ISOFIX, Headlight washers, Space Floor, 17inch winter wheels, B&B Chip, K&N High-Flow filter, Webasto stationary heater +++++++ (KW adjustable suspension, Audi Styling kit etc to come)

I had my A2 chipped before delivery and compared to the standard Tdi it is a lot more fun. Geoff.

quote:Originally posted by mcmanus

I had my A2 chipped before delivery and compared to the standard Tdi it is a lot more fun. Geoff.

Do you mean that you got your Audi dealer to sort this out or did you use an aftermarket company like Super Chips..

Hi EF MAX,

My local dealer offers this option with new tdi A2's. (Dealer and SuperChips both based in Shrewsbury). You lose the 3rd year of your AUDI warranty on certain parts, however it is my understanding that Superchips will cover this year in its place - dont quote me on this though.

Kaine

----------------------------------------------------------
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie

I am seriously considering chipping our petrol car, has anyone any experience of this - it seems that most of those done are diesels.

The deciding factor is likely to be what it does to the insurance premium for our 18 year old daughter to drive it.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Lichfield - but all the A2s in Lichfield are silver!!!

I am not sure what to expect from a non diesel car being chipped.. my last car was petrol with a 2.5 V6 24v engine and when I chipped that, they was not that much better performance,, don't get me wrong there was an improvement but not a WOW look out here I come,, but the fuel consumption was much better,, I was able to get about 35mpg - 40 mpg at a steady 60mph on the motorway.

Turbo's respond better to chipping. The cost is an issue as petrol cars like my last one was only £200ish but these car's are being asked for £500+.. good luck.

Of course the issue of insurance is donwn to your own honesty and intergrity.. once chipped there is no where a non engineer is going to know,, especially when I watched them chip my last car,, it was so simple,, out with the old in with the new and away you go.

The only chips I found for the petrol car give about a 10% increase in bhp at most; i.e. from 75 to 82. For the costs, I don't think the gain is worthwhile.
AMD in Oxford are suppoesd to be working on chip for the petrol. They have the best reputation for chipping VW/Audi engines.

MartinW

I was not expecting much but even another 10% would help however, Superchips formal response is that they have no chip available for this engine!

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

Isn't it possible to tune a petrole engine by fitting a different exhaust and perhaps modifying the air intake ??

I thought that chiptuning was invented for diesel engines ?

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

BTW Anyone know what happens to your insurance premiums when you rechip your car (assuming you tell them)? And what about your local dealership and servicing/warranty? Will they not notice that you have a different chip in the car (different part ID)?

Oh, and the reason chip tuning appears to be more productive for a diesil engine is because they are turbo charged. All turbo charged engines have greater yields because the chip also increases the maximum turbo pressure (rate of spin of the turbo, I think) as well as re-profile the engine air and fuel mixture.

Insurance goes up if you tell them you've had it chipped, depending on age and years no claims prices vary.

2002, 1.4, azure blue, 2 tone leather, concert II single cd. Member of A2OC site.

That was a bit of a rhetorical question, as I tried it with a quote from an insurance company, as declaring that you have chipped the engine doubled my premium: from £700 to £1400!! Bonkers!

Can chipping really improve both power/torque and fuel consumption?? Sounds like that breaks the 3rd law of thermodynamics (I think its that one)

Torq fae ork

On a turbo, power and torque definitely, fueal consumption depends on whether you use the extra power. If you don't (unlikely) it can be more economical.
For example, the VW group 1.8 litre petrol turbo engine is 150BHP in basic tune. A chip can up the power to about 180BHP with no other changes. The same engine is also 225BHP in the S3 and TT. These can be chipped up to about 270 BHP with no other changes.
I believe the S3/TT engines have different waste gates and cooling systems from the 150BHP.

MartinW

I heard that the new big rig trucks produce 540bhp and that this actualy saves them 1mpg (them again) from the last model which produced 450bhp. I believe this especialy applies to desiel engines. If you work them very hard they do use quite a lot of fuel but at tickover or low demands the efficiency is high.

Tc

1.4Tdi sport Merlot etc on order!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back