A2s, Open Skies, Roof Bars and Bike Racks

Realise this has been around a bit as a topic in the last few years, but thought I'd see if anyone has cracked it.

Am a keen racing cyclist. Find the bike goes in the A2 just fine. But have a bit of a problem if I want to get a bike in the car and more than 2 people.

Wouldn't be a problem with a "tin-roof" A2, but I have the Open Sky. Roof bars cannot (or, at least, could not) be fitted, and I'm not aware of any bike racks that fit the weird sloping rear/rear spoiler combo of the A2.

Has anyone managed to crack this problem?

On checking...

Excited by this possibility, I called (23.1.06) the outfit in Sevenoaks that Johann mentions to see if they can help me. I am clearly not the first to contact them on this. They claim that it cannot safely be done and that they can't help me. And if I can't get somebody like this to help me fit the bars, then that's that!

As such, I'm not sure that Johann's thread offers a lot of hope except for DIY-keen risk-takers!!!

Last edited:
Hmmm... I drove to the guys in Sevenoaks and they fitted a pair on my car and we all decided it is cool to do it as long as the outer edges are on the aluminium and not on the glass. Strange they now change their tune! I have had not a single problem with them. BUT you do so at your own risk and pray to god no-one tries to open the roof! LOL

Hi there,

There was a proper bike rack that sat on the back of the car. Used to be in the accessories guide. Not sure if anyone ever fitted it though...

Ben.

From memory, the rack mentioned above was only a concept & never went into production - which is a shame.

Bike Rack

I have a bike rack which goes on to my tow bar. The tow bar was odered, with the car. Some owners have had the tow bar reto fitted.

Back