A3 climatronic

George Hogg

A2OC Donor
Does anyone here know the difference between an 8Z0 820 043E and an A3 8L0 820 043E?
Any info appreciated

George

Does anyone here know the difference between an 8Z0 820 043E and an A3 8L0 820 043E?
Any info appreciated

George
Nobody else is offering opinion so I might as well offer a possible snippet of information.

I once had an A3 Concert II head unit installed in my A2 while I tested it, from memory it worked fine and played CDs and the radio worked and was exactly the same physical dimensions as an A2 unit, as well your A3 climate might be. The problem in my eyes with an A3 climate is the embedded software will inevitably be different I suspect. I thought I would see what VCDS (full version) had to say about the A3 Concert II while on board and ran Auto Scan. Out of habit I selected A2 from the drop down list in the Auto Scan opening screen and proceeded. When Auto Scan came to look at the radio it wanted nothing to do with the the A3 headunit, displayed 'no radio' in red! and moved on. I did not have the presence of mind to use VCDS in another way.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy, thank you for getting back to me, I’ve got plenty of climatronic units but am short of a front plate with heated seat rollers. A2 ones are in short supply and I wondered if an A3 one could be used, I’m guessing/hoping I could use an A2 climatronic unit behind the A4 faceplate. If the A3 concert 11 is the same size as the A2 unit hopefully the climatronic face plates will be too! Thank you for your help Andy

George

Hi Andy, thank you for getting back to me, I’ve got plenty of climatronic units but am short of a front plate with heated seat rollers. A2 ones are in short supply and I wondered if an A3 one could be used, I’m guessing/hoping I could use an A2 climatronic unit behind the A4 faceplate. If the A3 concert 11 is the same size as the A2 unit hopefully the climatronic face plates will be too! Thank you for your help Andy

George
Ah I see. Using an A3 button housing with an A2 back box has to work, after all you are swapping plastic. The crunch is the physical dimensions, I think that some might be some not, I would ask the seller to measure height and width. Do not limit your search to A3 units, others will work with some needed to be cut down to size, but the price seems to have gone through the roof lately - I have had multiple eBay email notifications of anything new for years!

Andy

As far as I can see this is an 8l0820043e

1672180206675.png

and this a 8z0820043e

1672180481259.png

Thank you for that, I got a close look at an A3 one and it’s the same issue as the A4 panel.
So I started searching in colder countries reckoning that heated seats would be more common there. I’ve now got two A2 heated seat climatronic SS on the way, one from Finland and one from Poland!
Thanks for all the help guys

George

Last edited:
Back