A3 DSG part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

maersk

Suspension is quite firm on the sport model due to the spring/damper configuration and the effect of large wheels and 45 aspect ratio tyres. However this does equate to similar wall size as the 16 inch SE wheels. Consequently it does not seem that much more firm than the A2.

Handling and roadholding are excellent as you would expect due to a much lower centre of gravity. Ride quality (especially over speed bumps) is also quantifiably better than the A2 despite stiffer spring rates, primarily due to the longer travel in the suspension and a longer wheelbase which makes pitching les obvious.

Fuel consumption should be around 50 mpg in real life after playing with Audi’s figures to obtain the same ‘error factor’ as the one built into the A2 statistics. DIS appears fairly accurate (about .5 mpg out) after a couple of tank to tank – same pump fills and is displaying 44 on my short, 12 mile commute to work. I need to have a long run in it but a trip of 30 miles of fast dual carriageway returned a similar 44 mpg. Overall my figure is 36 but I guess is not representative as there are only 820 miles on the clock.

The service indicator has been refined and now shows days as well as miles to next service. Yes it is still counting UP as the engine beds in. In contrast to the A2, the engine is not using any oil. My A2 used a fair amount until 3k then it turned off like a tap.

There is a lot of storage spread about the cabin. Huge glove box and a box each under the front seats. Door cubbies in front and rear bins. Nets on the rear of the front seats and a transmission tunnel net to complement the one under the luggage cover. I do miss the false floor of the A2 and its ability to swallow all my rubbish, motorway coat etc.

A spindly spare is hiding in the boot floor.
[8D]
The downish side is that there are only three doors. Entry to the back is easy but as the doors are relatively short (good for front seat people) you have to come forward a long way to get out, which makes it a litle dificult if you are not as supple as you once were. The sport wagen (sic) will address this later in the year but it will be a much longer car and this one is big - over 4 metres.
Suddenly you realise just how short the doors were (are) in an A2 as getting in and out is much easier despite a return to getting down rather than in to a car returns.
[24]

2.0 TDI Sport DSG.
Dolphin Grey metallic
Light grey/pebble grey heated leather
Runs on the standard sport forged rims (the options are only cast but look better in some eyes) with P-Zero Rosso tyres.
Symphony 2 6 disc changer
Storage Pack
Interior Light Pack
and all standard stuff.
NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

nice to hear your good review of this particular A3... its definitely the car i am considering next. im waiting to see the 5 door sportback first though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back