ABS and ESP lights help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my 1 year old 6K 1.4 sport, Sadly on the way home from the dealer the ABS and ESP lights came on. According to the handbook it`s back to the garage. Has anybody had any problems with it and could advise? Could it be the wiring?
Also the steering wheel is slightly to the right, why is that?
The ride of my sport with 17in wheels is firm but not as firm as of my Puma (and not as fast), so we are settling happily together in the slow lane.

Islandgreen

Welcome!

ABS and ESP lights-must be a technical fault. Probable an electronic brain gone on holiday. 6K in a year-was this demo or loan car? If so no one probably bothered to tell the dealer the warning light was on!

Steering wheel-again, first owner should have noticed the wheel wasn't on straight. Either that or it has, hold breath, been in an accident. Which i hope it hasn't.

What's the history of your A2 (dealer, one owner, etc etc)?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

hi there i too have a 1.4 sport 1 year old bought with 6k on the clock from Audi. On test driving the car the sterring wheel was turning to the right slightly also. I got them to check the tracking which was fine and they put the wheel pointing in the right direction. I have now done 4k and the wheel is again off straight and to the right. Ill get them to check this out when it goes for the service. All in all though i love the car, could do with a bit more power so will be test driving the 90bhp diesel soon to see what that offers.

Thanks for advice. I bought the car from main dealers and they assured me the car did not have any accidents.I haven`t got V5 yet.
I can`t see Main Audi dealers selling cars that were involved in accidents. I could of gone to Cargiant and got it cheaper there.
I got really good deal and p/x, thats why I got 1.4 sport. What I really wanted was 1.6. Still, musn`t grumble I love the car. I hope it is as reliable as my Puma, which in 5.5 years never broke down and never had major repairs!!!!!!!
My insurance is 50% cheaper then Puma and road tax only £105!
As for the steering I had similar problem in my Puma after the front bushes were replaced. Perhaps I`m perfectionist but I like my steering wheel dead straight.

i could'nt agree more
i have had the same things on my A2
I can tell you the things that have remedied it have been the following
1:~If the abs/esp light comes on and there is no reason for them to come on, it keeps doing so even worst in hot climates, you will need a new Yaw sensor which can be found under the centre console near the gear shift it's only a small black box which measures speed, braking, acceleration and side movement.
This takes 30 mins to replace, it cost £400 if not replaced under warranty.When the Audi dealer carries out a diagnostic test it should produce an error code which then should tally with the system that is faulty.
Apparently quite a few A2's suffer from the problem it is nearly always the YAW SENSOR.

2 :~ if the steering is off straight there are some thing you can try.
Check how your front tyres are wearing, if they check o.k. then when your audi is next back at the dealer ask them to perform a 4 POINT WHEEL ALIGNMENT which takes around 2 hours to perform.
I have had this done twice so far and the second time i set the steering wheel in the straight position since audi dealer seem to set the steering either slightly to the left or right.
Aparently the tolerance for the alignment of the steering wheel to the actual front wheels is 4mm either way.(pretty crap!!) if you ask me.
The reason why i had it carried out twice is due to the abnormal tread wear seen on the front tyres and the steering wheel was always turned to the leftalso the vehicle was slightly pulling to the left.

So after all the above i think you will need
Yaw sensor checking
4 Point wheel alignment

All of the above is covered under warranty but only at the discretion of that particular audi dealer.
;):)

cheers

A.D.Simmons

sorry
just to add to the message above the steering can be out for the following

Badly tracked wheels
gone over a bad pot hole and knocked the alignent out
been in a crash
i think i would rule out the third option since it sounds like you have the same symptoms i did have on my A2 when i first recieved the car.

If it ever has been in a crash it would not track completly correct.

so don't worry just mention what i have previously oulined and see what they say .
don't let yourself be fobbed off with any excuses if you ask for somthing to be carried out, they should at least check them.

happy driving

cheers

A.D.Simmons

I know exactly what that is! Happened to my sport at 4000 miles. The cable that leads to the abs and eps sensors is too long and rubs on the wheel at lock. When it wears thru it shows as a fault and turns the abs and eps off. I took mine back to the dealer and apparantly mine was the first fault reported. That was in December 2002 and Audi were going to remedy the fault and recall all Sports! The dealer asked me where I had the wheels fitted as they were "obviouslt too big for the car", so I explained that they were factory fitted and he said "oh" as they do... The cables were replaced on both sides and shortened slightly, now at 17000 miles no further problems.

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue, winter pack, leather, rew

And another thing Islandgreen, your road tax should be £85 not £105. The dealer tried to charge me £105 when I collected my car. I thought they were wrong and checked on the DVLA web site and low and behold £85 was correct. They refunded the money and they said that this is what their system put the cost in as so new buyers BEWARE!

Fi

Fiona,I paid £105 when I bought the car (new) and £105 at renewal using the form sent by DVLA. I've looked on DVLA site, and £105 (£110 now)is what is shown. How do you gwt £85? If you are right it's you for Transport Minister.

Fiona's right, just renewed my road tax and for the TDI it's £85.

Andrew - 2003 1.4 TDI Silver Climate

£85 is the current price. Also something I discovered when I got my car last year and this only applies to new registrations. If you get the car mid month the dealer can extend the tax by up to 2 weeks so it runs for a whole 12 months and however many days it is to go to the end of the month of first registration (ie it starts from the following month). That way you don't lose out on a month's worth of tax by having to get the tax from the beginning of the month of registration. Hope that makes sense.

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

According to the A2 price list;

£105 is the annual road tax for a PETROL engine with Co2 emissions of between 121-150g/km, which is the Co2 band that the A2 petrol engines will always fall within.
Road tax for your usual DIESEL A2 should be £85, which is for emissions of up to 121g/km. All A2 diesel engines emit less Co2 than this.

Islandgreen, if your A2 is petrol then you may well be paying the right tax, unless you can get your emissions below 121g/km!

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

Yes, sorry, I just assumed that Islandgreen was on about the diesel, which is £85. Just wanted to point out that you need to check what you are being charged.

And, Hollyrescue, if I make it to transport minister I'll make A2's free from tax!

Fi

Hey, no wurries Fi. I still dont know if Islandgreen is a diesel-dozer or a gas-guzzler! If his A2 drinks the derv, then he's got an issue with his dealer! :)

amp,

My A2 TDi was 'born' in April 2003, and I have just last week payed £85 tax. Do you trust those figures from vcacarfueldata?

£115 is the annual tax for a diesel engine car with Co2 emissions of between 121-150g/km. Even with all the added weight of the whole options list (dream...) the maximum quoted A2 Co2 emission is 119g/km, which is £85 tax.

[?] [?] [?]

Fiona, I did try to get you the job of Transport Minister when Tone was on the LBC phone in, but I couldnt get through. I assumed that islandgreen was a sweet smelling petrol , not a nasty smelling diesel. Don't tell me it's not nasty I slept above the diesel tanks on a minesweeper, and they're noisy, well twin Deltics are! At least islandgreen shows good taste in his(or her) choice of colour, I hear that all the best people choose that colour. At least I learnt something this week about tax.

Oh well, you tried, I'll carry on with this photography lark then. Yes, I know diesel smells, smokes alot, etc but I'm afraid I am a bit of a diesel junkie - plus my Dad has a large tank full always on hand for his truck! Anyway isn't green unlucky?!?

Wonder if Islandgreen sorted his problem? Or should we change this topic to "Tax and dealers who will try to overcharge"?

Fi

HollyRescue

At least the Deltics were reliable - unlike the Mirlees Blackstones which were always breaking down! Probably something to do with no valves!

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back