ABS - Traction - brake lights

skilift23

Hi,

My car has been sat for 4 months or so. Now I am running it again, the traction control, ABS and brake caution light all come on with 3 load beeps. does anyone know what this means as it mainly happens when I am sitting at traffic lights or just pulling away. I haven't had the diagostics done as its intermittent and having trouble getting to a garage.

thanks for anyones help.

abs light

Hi,

Almost word for word what has just happened to me. Both rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes replaced last Saturday due to massive fluid loss (and pedal right to the floor). On both sides, the linings had detached from the shoes and there was fluid over everything but it's been fine all week since the replacements until yesterday then lit up like Blackpool!. VAG-COM reports a problem with nearside rear abs sensor/communications. Not sure if brake fluid would affect the sensor? Hope you find this post helpful?

Dan

I have the same problem BUT mine is due to the pleb of a previous owner having the streering rack replaced BADLY.

thanks for the quick replies, I will take it for the diagonstic and see what happens. Another point I was told was the the ABS sensors may be dirty and giving the false readings. so i might clean them up and see what happens.

I will let you guys know.

cheers

Hi,

I have hopefully got the problem fixed. naturally the significance of those lights mean that the brake pedal switch is faulty, sometimes adjusting them will fix it otherwise it needs replacing. Good news they only cost around £10 inc VAT.

hope that helps you guys, but just a warning, it caused my brake lights to fail.

Fixed!

Hi,

Replaced nearside rear ABS sensor (£35.72 inc vat from local factor) - it's fixed my problem. Still would like to know if old sensor could have been affected by the brake fluid?

Dan

If i'm not mistaken, the A2 ABS sensors are magneto-electrical, meaning they read the bar code graved on the wheel bearing and convert the information into electrical input to be processed by the main unit.
Massive brake fluid loss could be the blame for the sensor's failure, seeing that it could interfere with it's bearing "reading" part or even with it's electrical part by means of a short-circuit.

ABS Sensor

Trex,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not replying sooner. The sensor appears to be a sealed unit (which would tie in with the magnetic bit). New sensor cured the problem and was fitted without dismantling the rear brakes (one fixing bolt, one electrical connection) so I doubt that anything was 'obscuring' the rear wheel bearing marking (I didn't clean anything at all).

Dan

Back