access to cabin heater to remove

Hi,

I have a dead cabin heater in my 2001 1.4 tdi i have changed the evac resistor checked all the fuses and checked that the unit is getting power and it is. So it looks like I need to replace the unit which involves a full dash removal antbody know where to start! Any info gratefully received.

it doesn't involve full dash removal. Try searching for "flaps", there's also an illustrated explanation and troubleshooting guide over on the German forum.

Bret

Hi,

I have a dead cabin heater in my 2001 1.4 tdi i have changed the evac resistor checked all the fuses and checked that the unit is getting power and it is. So it looks like I need to replace the unit which involves a full dash removal antbody know where to start! Any info gratefully received.

Hi Stevie, welcome to the A2oc.
Do you have climate control or the manual system with rotary knobs

Cheers Spike

good point - scrub my earlier comment, you have the wheel on the other side so I've no real clue what it looks like.

Bret

Replaced Cabin Heater Blower

You can remove the blower unit without removing the dashboard but you need to be able to work blind as one of the screws is a nightmare to get at, but there is a hole in the "dash panel cross member" which you can pass a flexable extension bar through.

Went to an independant garage who quoted 5 hours as that is what the computer told him.

Went to an Audi Body Shop and asked them, originally told it was a service dept issue, but I explained that the dash may need to be removed, he said he'd contact me later and true to his word (around 3oC today) he told me the dash did NOT need to be removed and he had the instructions, which I collected the same day.

I already had the glovebox removed as I have been replacing the door in it.

I started the job at 17.05 (in the dark with only a torch) and finished at 17.50. I still need to refit the glovebox but at least I have heat and it moves...

For information the old blower unit was very difficult to rotate which I intend to try and clean and the used replacement outer cover has only one cable tie connection but it rotates freely and its clean.

Oh and yes it was the one from ebay made them and offer.

Attachments

• Heater Blower0001.pdf
    560.2 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
Shezlee,

Brilliant thanks for the good gen I have taken a day off work to try and get it sorted today so with a bit of luck i should have a few spare hours :) I wondered who had bought the one off E-bay! Cheers Steve.:)

Back