ADDITIONAL HEATER

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOOD DAY

I AM THE OWNER OF A2 TDI 1.4 2000
CAN ME EXPLANE HOW TO SWITCH ON ADDITIONAL HEATER.

MANY THANKS

Hi Viva,

Welcome to the forum. The heater will come on automatically at below -5degC only. You cant switch it on, however you can switch it off by using the ECON button on the A/C Panel

regards,

Kaine

Kaine, is that right? It comes into action at -5c and not +5c?

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

Over the Christmas cold period mine came on at 5 degrees and lower

I noticed also that it carried on working for about 30 seconds after had switched off the engine

Normally in the summer am used to hearing the coolant fan still on and
initially foxed me hearing a similar noise in the cold

Antony

...best thing is when it is running when you have just switched the car on a cold morning, is the heater's exhaust of steam from the FRONT of the car... AND that from the engine's exhaust at the rear!!! Then you just switch your heated mirrors on and you have steam coming of the mirrors too! Quite a sight with steam coming from FOUR places around the car!!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

[37]
The automatic trigger temperature for the TDI [7] additional heater -be it Webasto or electric is +7C.
It can be switched of by briefly pressing the 'econ' button.
[35]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

[7]
After switch off, the Webasto variety (pre 2002 models) goes through a cleaning and self testing program ready for it next use, hence the whirring and turbo type whine.

Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

is it just the Diesel a2s that have the second heater?

its been really cold lately... brrr....

2003 1.6 SE FSI Cobalt Blue & 1968 Dodge Charger

:)I'm afraid so old boy. Dashed unforunate for you gasoline powered chappies!:)

I do love the smell of burnng diesel in the morning !

From my webasto heater that is !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Hiya!

Can anyone tell me what sort of effect they get from this additional heater?

I climbed into my A2 this morning, and the temp gauge read a chilly +4c, complete with little snowflake icon just to confirm to me that I was freezing my nuts off!
Secure in the knowledge that I had this aux heater on board, I switched off ECON, and waited for the warmth. Nothing.

Having said this, I only got about 3-4 minutes down the road before the AUTO function had turned up the fan and I was feeling warm air. Is this the effect of the aux heater? Or should I be feeling instant heat? Do I need to set the temperature to 'HI'? I sorta hoped that I would be able to get instant heat even before I pulled off the driveway... [?]

I did the same this morning. Hit "auto" at +2C and had a good blast of warm air within probably 3 minutes of 30 mph driving. The car was fully warm inside within about 5 minutes. This is substantially better than a car without an auxiliary heater... I had to wear a woolly hat in my old diesel on my 15 minute drive to work. But it doesn't work miracles.
In auto mode the fan doesn't seem to come on until there's some hot air to blow. Maybe this is because the aircon unit can make a lot of condensation when cold and it's to stop the windows fogging up
Enjoy the heater - you'd miss it if it wasn't there!

Mark, your right. It is a helluva lot better then any 'conventional' heater, and I should stop bleating! However, its just like me to not use it properly and I wanted to make sure that I wasnt missing a trick!

I love the way that the AUTO function holds back on the fan until there is some heat to be blown. Very clever...

Cheers!

quote:Originally posted by philhusbands

I love the way that the AUTO function holds back on the fan until there is some heat to be blown. Very clever...

My Corolla does that too. You here a click of the realy a minutes into the journey and in comes the warm air to defrost the frozen drops from your nose and to un-stick your eyelids [:p]

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

After that 3 or 4 minutes drive did you look at your engine temperature gauge in the dash? It was still ZERO!!! Your engine had barely any heat in it... now next time look at that until it shows normal. That is how long you would have had to wait had you not had the electric heater before the car had enough excess heat to give to the heater... now you will appreciate it even more AND forgive it for the LENGTHY 3 minute wait!! hehehe

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Yes, yes, yes... I am an impatient whinger! Seriously, that climate control is a beaut, I love it.

Get this though. A colleague at work has an N reg A8, and he has an extra little something in his climate control. The sunroof has photoelectric cells in it, and so doubles up as a solar panel. The purpose for this? To keep the climate control running (if he so wishes) whilst he is away from the car. The result? The interior is kept at his selected temperature ready for his return... Jammy s*d!

Hi Phil,

In the old A8, the solar panel only drives the fan to circulate the air. It doesn't run the ac system.

Kaine

Ooh, thanks Kaine, that may give me an opportunity to get my own back on my work chum after he stole my thunder! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back