Advice Needed: Crater of a Pot Hole has left me with 2 egg shaped wheels

On my way home from work today I was travelling through Kidderminster along a typical urban road (30) that was very busy and is not particulary wide.

Whilst following a row of traffic this HUGE pothole emerged from under the white Nova in front - I did my best to avoid, but as the road's narrow and busy with traffic, there wasn't a great deal I could do. Both the front and rear driver side wheels dropped into this cavernous hole and hit the sharp 'exit wall' of the pot hole

The Result:
I've lost my front centre cap (been back to take pics of hole but couldn't find it), but more importantly, I have 2 egg shaped wheels - no apparent tyre damage, but the alloys have taken a walloping. They don't look bad when you look at them, but on the front you can deffo see some deformation. The problem is when I drive, anything above 30 results in vibration and a see-saw action on the drivers side as the two dents hit the ground at different times.

There is no way I can drive my car like this everyday, I have a 65 mile round trip commut plus business mileage and the car just ain't right like this - and after recent events I certainly don't wish to drive around like this compromising safety let alone comfort. Also, having only just bought the A2, there is no way I can afford to buy new alloys.

My gut feeling is to persue the council as there's no way they should let a hole get this big on a main road, or any road for that matter. I have heard of people getting compensation following pothole damage before.. but as I'm an everyday, by-the-book, tax paying guy I'm not up on all this screwing people and organisations for money lark.. HELP!

Your thoughts and comments please...

Ian

Exact same thing happened to a friend of mine.
First thing to do is take photographic evidence, measure depth of hole,date and time it happened then pursue the council highways dept.
My town is a nightmare at the monemt,potholes and roadworks everywhere.
He got a full set of alloys as his were not available.
Persevere and you'll be ok .With regards procedure I'm the same as you, but citizens advice would be my first call,and make a note of what they tell you.When you phone the council they'll send you a form to fill in,and include copy of pictures.

Last edited:
Went back before dark this eveing and got pictures, so the plan tomorrow is to get the wheels checked out at a tyre place for damage and then get in touch with Audi for price of necessary bits.

Then it's onto the council, thinking of reporting to police and insurance to cover myself, what do you think?

looks like your alloys are original audi 17's which are very soft, this means they will be knackered mate, they are bound to have buckled. take it to a garage and get them to look at least they can sort your tracking out so you can hopefully drive it.

very bad news mate sorry

stand alone complex said:
looks like your alloys are original audi 17's which are very soft, this means they will be knackered mate, they are bound to have buckled. take it to a garage and get them to look at least they can sort your tracking out so you can hopefully drive it.

very bad news mate sorry
Cheers.. I don't think the tracking is out, still goes in a straight line, just bobs up and down in a see-saw fashion on the drivers side :(

What alternative is there to the orig Audi alloys then - i.e. same style, just harder!?

the replica's are harder, you could get a set for a fair bit cheaper than the originals. the originals can get buckled just from going over speedbumps so you can imagine how deformed this will have left them.

get in into a garage and get the whole setup checked. suspension, tracking and balance etc.. you must get all this recorded and goto the council and make them pay for it! i know A2's pay lower road tax but for god's sake this is what road tax is for! so we have maintained, driveable roads!

good news is you might be able to sell your remaining originals on ebay for the price of a set of replicas. then just petition the council for compensation.

Thanks SAC,

Problem for me is I don't have the cash to get a new set of wheels right now.. heading off to garage now to get it all checked out...

Just had wheels checked - both are buckled, and have a letter stating so - signed from the garage. Citizens advice followed by council this afternoon...

:( thought as much, get it sorted quickly itll screw your car up even move driving the way it is..

look into the replicas mate. they can be had for £600 with tyres. You will sell your other two if they are good nick with good thread for that easily! (sold individually though)

Quick update: Council have filled the hole today, noticed on my way home :rolleyes:

Luckily I reported it to the council this afternoon so am waiting for them to get back to me on Monday....

Probably means some other poor soul has encountered that pot hole, with luck either a council member or employee. Go for it.

Bye the way I used to wonder why American cars were so big till I visited Detroit. Its so that the cars don't completely disapear down the pot holes and can be rescued!

best of luck matey, I'm still chasing my councils' insurer for a £600 bill for 1 new tyre and a replacement steering track arm that was bent when I hit my pothole, they keep missreading my letters strange that!!!

crater

We had a fair and legitimate claim against a council once, the insurer was Zurich. They made life as difficult as possible, and were happy to go the steps of the court before capitulating. I wouldnt ever insure with them.

Right.. waiting for a form from the local council to turn up. The woman I spoke to at the council was trying to get me to put it through my insurance -

"Er, no; that would ultimately cost me money in increased premium. They're your roads, I pay road tax and fuel duty for you to keep them up to scratch for me to use them...." :rolleyes:

She asked me to get a quote for replacement wheels - off to local dealer later to get a price, and moan at them as to why I think they should be a warranty issue as afterall, it was Audi that decided to make their wheels out of putty.

Should prove to be an interesting few days.. 'hmm'

Ian

Take a look at www.rs246.com and in particular, the RS4 downloads section - there are a number of scanned letters re. the soft wheels issue and the goodwill lifetime replacement warranty!

Quote this, have a damn good moan and between Audi and the council, you should get sorted.

Had a good chat with the dealer today, however he hadn't heard of the same soft wheel issue effecting the A2's. He gave me the number for Audi customer services, so I phoned them and spoke to a very helpful lady who later phoned me back. She said that there were no known issues with soft wheels on the A2 sport. Typical corporate response IMO.

Not sure where to go from here, still waiting for council form to turn up - but I can imagine it's going to be like getting blood out of a stone.

Either way, my dealer has quoted £680 for 2 new wheels, caps and fitting.. that's money I simply can't afford... especially as I actualy have 4 buckled wheels.

Back