Advice needed please

Gritty

Hi

Im looking for some sexy 15 inch winter wheels with winter tyres.

Ive found some Ronals 15`s off a 2003 VW Polo centre bore 57.1, ET 40, 5 x 100 I was looking to shod them with 175 60 15 winter tyres

Are the above dimension ok ?

Hi

Ive found some Ronals 15`s off a 2003 VW Polo centre bore 57.1, ET 40, 5 x 100 I was looking to shod them with 175 60 15 winter tyres

Forgot to mention the width width which is 7.5j

175 tyres on a 7.5 wide rim is going to leave a LOT of wheel overhang - I'm not even certain whether it would fill out the rim.

Hi

There's a lot of love for A3 pepperpots which might not meet your idea of sexy though who knows? Pepperpots are one of the lighter wheels you're going to find and suit the A2 IMO.

Another A1 alloy option, I bought these 16" with 5mm or so quality rubber for £193 delivered...

Attachments

• IMG_20171005_143730-1600x1200.jpg
    IMG_20171005_143730-1600x1200.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 343
Sad to say but quite factual ...sexy and good winter grip do not easy go hand in hand.
If you are looking for tires that can let you go safe also when you are the first car on the road in 4" of snow one morning, you need to follow the grandfather rules, and they are not much sexy... sorry.
A2 is a 1000kg car and it is not as wide as an average car so it does not fit well running behind a Discovery for instance.
For winter tires you must not fit them to wide rims so they get V profile.
For good grip on un-even roads you need the tires to flex... factors that sabotage this is typically:
  • Too little left of the tire, when you reach 4mm left, you have very little grip left
  • Tires stored in sunny and hot conditions
  • Tires have been used during a summer
  • 175/60 is "hard" to run on , they flex too little
  • Tire width should not exceed rim width
  • to hard springs
  • wrong tire pressure, remember to add 0.2bar to winter tires compared to nominal summer tires
175/70 15 and the larger 185/70 15 are the best dimension on snow and ice since they flex on up to 6.5 inch rims.
185/60 15 looks a little bit sexy... but still have a decent grip.
If you will not plough the road, you can obtain grip with wider tires. 205/55 16 have been mentioned in other posts, most of them have a high load index and they are stiff and does a better job on A6 than A2... and they have a diameter that is 6.3 % larger than nominal, and well above what is road legal limit in Norway (+/-5%).
On a track with worn tarmac and icy surface and -2 degC you will probably win the race with 185/60 15, 6 inch rims and Nokia with lowest possible load index.
225/35 18 with load index at 105 and 6 years old and stored in the sun... will get the last place in the race

I do winter condition driving 6 month a year and I would probably not been alive if I had chosen sexy instead of best grip :)

plz do not take me wrong... my favourite is not to stop all that is fun... though plz look for the essence in my thoughts :)

Last edited:
Sad to say but quite factual ...sexy and good winter grip do not easy go hand in hand.
I you are looking for tires that can let you go safe being the first car on the road in 4" of snow you need to follow the grandfather rules, and they are not much sexy... sorry.
A2 is a 1000kg car and it is not as wide as an average car.
For winter tires you must not fit them to wide rims so they get V profile.
For good grip on un-even roads you need the tires to flex... factors that sabotage this is typically:
  • Too little left of the tire, when you reach 4mm left, you have very little grip left
  • Tires stored in sunny and hot conditions
  • Tires have been used during a summer
  • 175/60 is "hard" to run on , they flex too little
  • Tire width should not exceed rim width
  • to hard springs
  • wrong tire pressure, remember to add 0.2bar to winter tires compared to summer tires
175/70 15 and the larger 185/70 15 are the best dimension on snow and ice since they flex on up to 6.5 inch rims.
185/60 15 looks a little bit sexy... but still have a decent grip.
If you will not plough the road, you can obtain grip with wider tires. 205/55 16 have been mentioned in other posts, most of them have a high load index and they are stiff and does a better job on A6 than A2... and they have a diameter well above what is road legal in Norway (6.3%).
On a track with worn tarmac and icy surface and -2 degC you will probably win the race with 185/60 15, 6 inch rims and Nokia with lowest possible load index.
225/35 18 with load index at 105 and 6 years old and stored in the sun... will get the last place in the race

I do winter condition driving 6 month a year and I would probably not been alive if I had chosen sexy instead of best grip :)

plz do not take me wrong... my favourite is not to stop all that is fun... though plz look for the essence in my thought :)

Great info thanks for doing this research for me.

Im a big fan of winter rubber and have winter tyres on my smart 451 and VW T4 Nov to Mar, they make a lot of sense.

I notice that on the A2 Definative tyre and wheel thread there is no mention of 175 0r 187/70/15 size ? Do you have this size on your A2? do they fit ok?

The nearest tyre size I can find to your 70/15 is 185/65/15 would these be acceptable in your opinion?

I usually buy tyres from Camskill very good range and low prices

I like the wheels Birchall suggests from the A1 which are 6.5j so would 185/65/15 winter tyres on these be a practical option?

Many thanks

There's a lot of love for A3 pepperpots which might not meet your idea of sexy though who knows? Pepperpots are one of the lighter wheels you're going to find and suit the A2 IMO.

Scirroco on this site has some pepper pots available, but Ive gone off the design personally, although I do understand the benefits of the wheel.

185/60R15s are good and cheap. Remember there's percentages to be kept to in terms of speedo and mileage over- or underreading.

- Bret

Gritty - I am very new in here and have not read the thread you refer to, but I will.

I have had both 185/65 15 and 175/70 on my A2's but never on wider rims than 6" ET35 - 42, they have never touched any bodywork. 185/65 15 is the largest diameter I would use.

After 10 years I have settled on 185/60 15 as my standard for demanding winter use. They 1.3% larger that the standard 165/65 15 that these cars are delivered with in Norway. 185/70 15 are 4.4% larger on diameter as a comparison.

What I have shared here is solely related to use of A2 in demanding winter conditions with loads of snow and shiny ice.... :)
(and I like the look of the A1 rims linked above too.... )

Gritty - I am very new in here and have not read the thread you refer to, but I will.

I have had both 185/65 15 and 175/70 on my A2's but never on wider rims than 6" ET35 - 42, they have never touched any bodywork. 185/65 15 is the largest diameter I would use.

After 10 years I have settled on 185/60 15 as my standard for demanding winter use. They 1.3% larger that the standard 165/65 15 that these cars are delivered with in Norway. 185/70 15 are 4.4% larger on diameter as a comparison.

What I have shared here is solely related to use of A2 in demanding winter conditions with loads of snow and shiny ice.... :)
(and I like the look of the A1 rims linked above too.... )

I would be happy buying winter 185 60 15 tyres, lots of choice with good ratings at a fair price.

Found a set of 15ich A1 alloys (little bit sexy) on ebay trying to ascertain if they are the right size though??

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS-NEW-Genuine-Audi-A1-S1-RS1-alloy-wheels-Dunlop-Tyres-VW-Polo-5x100-Golf-MK4/183089935833?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l264

PS Im also a big diesel fan!!

I got my Nexen 185/55/R16 winters from an Amazon Germany seller for £43.75 / tyre back in November & fitted them on Dec 1st. They've been excellent despite not being one of the premium brands - actually nicer to drive on dry roads than the Asda own-brand fronts that were there before and infinitely better in any other conditions. Same place they're now ~54 quid a corner, and on mytyres (my usual go-to), they're up to 83 quid each.. law of supply of demand and all that. Now is clearly not the time to try to buy winter tyres!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nexen-Wing...&keywords=Nexen+Winguard+SnowG+WH2+185/55+R16

Back