aerial Q

rhyd4

since changing my head unit the signal for the radio is poor, im running the stereo with it just pluged into the harness at the mo with the big red block and a small brown block not conected.
by buying an autoleads harness adapter will this cure the problem of bad reception?
also where is the aerial?

thanks

rhyd4 said:
also where is the aerial?

thanks

RHYD4

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the aerial is built into the rear screen!! :)

Not sure whether the leads will cure the problem, though if reception was ok before the head unit change, then it sounds like something isn't correctly connected.

Regards,

Darren

Last edited:
The aaerial is indeed built into the rear screen - sounds to me like you need an active aerial adapter to cure the faulty or poor reception. These are about £12 from Halfords and they supply a 12v feed down the co-axial cable which is normally needed by an aftermarket headunit.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
The aaerial is indeed built into the rear screen - sounds to me like you need an active aerial adapter to cure the faulty or poor reception. These are about £12 from Halfords and they supply a 12v feed down the co-axial cable which is normally needed by an aftermarket headunit.

Cheers,

Mike
does this need to be conected to the battery then? or wher would this fit? also would it be a good idea to get the autoleads harness adapter anyway to plug the loose wires into? thanks and sorry for the numpty question.

The active aerial adapter consists of a metal barrell which terminates in an aerial lead and also has a small wire coming out of it. This wire goes into the 12v permanant feed to your radio and then you just plug your existing aerial lead into the metal barrell and then plug that into the back of the new headunit.

I would get the proper Autoleads interface, or if they do one, a manufacturer specific (ie Blaupunkt). This way, you're not cutting into the harness and so voiding the warranty.

Cheers,

Mike

aerial booster

hi im new to the site and have just got me a A2 1.4 TDI SE and it's great i have just put a aftermarket headunit in with a pc9-404 adaptor and a pc5-137 aerial adaptor, i put the blue wire into the blue wire on the stereo and the aerial work fine.
hope this helps :)

I wouldn't dare to say against you but there should be a signal amplifier in the right upper side of the trunk door. You must remove the inner clothing to find it and it's connected with a very short cable to the actual antenna in the window.

I would suggest you to check the (male) connector very carefully - they break easily. I'm a cumputer techie and many times WLAN signal strength problems are just that. This even happens inside portable computers where users can't get to unplug them - they just break and becomes a painful operation for the doctor.

Back