Information Aero Wiper Conversion for £2

Imartin

IMG_7152.JPGIMG_7153[1].JPG
I recently ordered a replacement wiper blade from GSF for our 51 plate TDI. The wrong one arrived. It was the aero type.
It looked like a realy nice replacement so I looked into converting my hook type wiper arm to a side pin. Thought the Audi £80 conversion too dear.
Saw the post from Bob who bolted a replacement onto his wiper assembly which seemed like an excellent idea but the thread was eventually closed.
This gave me an idea....... Being an experienced welder I went down the weld on route rather than the bolt on.
Got a replacement arm from the scrappies, I think it was a newish Astra that was written off.
Removed the wiper arm assembly. Found that by gently rocking the arms off the splined drives negated the use of a puller.
Cut off the original hooked end and in the same position welded on the replacement doner side pin. Made a template to replicate the original hook angle
Had some spare primer and gloss black in a spray can in the workshop to restore the surface finish.
Refitted the modified wiper arm assembly and functioned it. Had to use a die grinder (Dremmel will do) to remove some of the plastice cowl that fits onto the end of the wiper arm
So far all seems well. Used the washers to wet the screen and the new blade is doing an excellent job.
Yet to try it in the pouring rain....................... its England............................Wont be long now

Last edited:
Loving your work there. I always like to see a job done well but that saves spending a fortune. Looks great.

Thanks for your comment iain.

As expected the British rain has arrived and chance to test the conversion. I can report that the conversion is working well. At 70 mph the wiper remains in contact with the windscreen, clears well and is very quiet. Far better than the previous version. My wife is the main driver and if she is happy with it it must be OK.
For information the Wiper Blade I converted to is a Bosch Aerotwin AM28U. GSF were doing a 10% discount promotion

Ian

Last edited:
Hello can someone explain me the difference between the old and the new wiper arm?
They have different fittings for the wiper blade. The old one is a hevu duty hook connector. Often found on trucks. The new one has the standard aero (floppy) blade connector.

Back