Aftermarket head units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipton01

Admin Team
Does anyone have any info about changing the Chorus/Concert head units for aftermarket ones? I've done it in my 2001 SE, but that didn't have rear speakers, I had to fit them myself. Do the newer cars, which are supposed to have "active" rears pose any problems in this respect, or must I only use a head unit with pre-outs for the rear feeds?[13]

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!) Soon to be TDi 90 Sport with the full monty and red leather!

I am also thinking of getting a mp3 head unit. I have both front and rear speakers, will they just connect as normal. I heard that the car has an active system?
I was thinking of adding a subwoofer with amp in front footwell. If someone has installed things in footwells or boot compartment where tools are, then please let me know.

Also front and rear speaker component sizes if you know the sizes and any recommended upgrades or know of which makes fit?
If anyone can make a guide on speaker/head unit installation that would be great.

Black 2001 A2 with 16" 6 spoke, Open sky system, xenon lights, and concert single cd.
Tha Best

Just got a Woodstock DAB 54 for the new A2. Blaupunkt do a complete, bespoke loom interface for their headunits, so I'll let y'all know how it plugs together next week hopfully.[:I]

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!) Soon to be TDi 90 Sport with the full monty and red leather!

Hi all,

I work in the car audio trade and I've been working on the car for a while and changed the whole audio system in the A2

Any of you going to castle coombe???....if so, i can give some advice then. Otherwise, email me what you need to know and i'll see if i can help.

Wil.

the rear system is normally powered by a "joke" amp in the right hand footwell. this has the connectors for line-out from the head unit and the speaker cabling to the rear doors. if you don't fancy recabling the doors as i didn't (but i've just done anyway for something else :) ), then you can use this: it's ok in quality, and your rears are only rearfill, right?
the speakers are a wierd size, 155mm or so, so you need adapter rings. these are really hard to get hold of, i couldn't find any, so made some myself. they ain't professional, but they do the job.

there's a couple of really good threads about this kind of thing in the german forum - with semi professional installs and interesting solutions...

to understand how to take your rear doors apart:
http://www.audi-a2club.de/thread.php?threadid=5150&sid=&
pics including the miniamp, powercable locations and other stuff is here (go down the page!)
http://www.audi-a2club.de/thread.php?threadid=3130&sid=&

Bret

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
2002, Petrol 1.4, 17", sports suspension, OpenSky, leather / alcantara in iceblue
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

I've just re-done my install yet again.. and have gone for a more simple approach.

If you've got the time I can strongly recommend making kickwell builds for the A2.
I've taken out my 3 ways and changed for some high end coaxs for now. My centre image is still about 6 inches about the dash as well.

Amps wise the A2 is childs play to install in, with teh battery in the boot and panels which don't require any unscrewing it's be a crime not to amp up some decent speakers.

Putting a sub in the drivers footwell is something I've looked at doing before, I thought about trying a 12 but it was slightly too wide. A decent 10 should be a reletively easy task as long as it's designed for a small box.

Then it's down to getting the box built, in and secure. Fibreglass would be one option...but it should be possible to build an MDF box into the well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back