Aftermarket Headunit

Evening,

Paul @depronman is your saviour here as he is able to produce the necessary brackets that you’ll need. He may need some pictures of the sides of your HU. It is worth dropping him a PM to discuss.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening,

Paul @depronman is your saviour here as he is able to produce the necessary brackets that you’ll need. He may need some pictures of the sides of your HU. It is worth dropping him a PM to discuss.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom, I’ll give Paul a shout soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The easiest thing would be for me to produce the brackets without any screw holes
So you would use the brackets and drill the holes to suit the HU
The plastic is easily drilled
Once the HU is mounted I will need the dimensions of the HU hole and the position of the HU hole in the 2Din hole. From this a fascia trim panel is laser cut from Perspex
This can either be sprayed satin black or covered in black fablon as Malcolm as done
Let me know when you are ready and send a picture of the HU front and side please as unfortunately thee is no standard for the screw holes used by different manufactures even pioneer as different hole pattern on different HU models

Cheers. Paul

The easiest thing would be for me to produce the brackets without any screw holes
So you would use the brackets and drill the holes to suit the HU
The plastic is easily drilled
Once the HU is mounted I will need the dimensions of the HU hole and the position of the HU hole in the 2Din hole. From this a fascia trim panel is laser cut from Perspex
This can either be sprayed satin black or covered in black fablon as Malcolm as done
Let me know when you are ready and send a picture of the HU front and side please as unfortunately thee is no standard for the screw holes used by different manufactures even pioneer as different hole pattern on different HU models

Cheers. Paul

Thanks Paul,
HU is still in my other car at the moment and I need to locate an OEM replacement for that. Be in touch at some point

I've fitted another unit into the A2's double-DIN cage. Here : https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/rns-e-replacement.40764/ It was similar to your Sony device in its dimensions. The cage which is usually supplied with any HU will fit inside the A2's cage but will need two packing pieces because it will be narrower than the A2's opening. It really is pretty straightforward. I then used two pieces of black plastic angle to finish off the gap either side of the HU. The final appearance was quite pleasing.

David

I've fitted another unit into the A2's double-DIN cage. Here : https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/rns-e-replacement.40764/ It was similar to your Sony device in its dimensions. The cage which is usually supplied with any HU will fit inside the A2's cage but will need two packing pieces because it will be narrower than the A2's opening. It really is pretty straightforward. I then used two pieces of black plastic angle to finish off the gap either side of the HU. The final appearance was quite pleasing.

David

The plastic printed mounting kit that I designed removed the need for all this messing about and provides a very sturdy mounting

Paul

Do you understand the implications of attaching aftermarket headunit to the Bose amp?

No I don’t, hopefully you can tell me will it not work? TBH I can’t tell I huge difference between my non Bose and Bose systems!

No I dont alas was really just making sure you had taken this into account tbh - you'll need to find a way of ensuring the HU can talk with the Bose amp. Someone with more knowledge than me on this subject can hopefully help here or point you in the right direction :)

No I dont alas was really just making sure you had taken this into account tbh - you'll need to find a way of ensuring the HU can talk with the Bose amp. Someone with more knowledge than me on this subject can hopefully help here or point you in the right direction :)

Ok thanks. Like I say I can’t really tell the difference, perhaps the sub isn’t working and that’s the reason why? I’ll check that out later on.

Ok thanks. Like I say I can’t really tell the difference, perhaps the sub isn’t working and that’s the reason why? I’ll check that out later on.

The Bose system uses only the line/phono output from the HU, as the Bose amp drives all of the speakers, Unless you're desperate for DAB, the gain over an OEM HU, especially with Bose, is not worth the hassle. Modern HUs have much better power sections, and that's where most of the cost goes. With Bose, this is not used at all, so a waste of precious pennies.
Having said all that, as long as you connect it up correctly, and set the line output (just the one, the Bose amp does the front/rear split) to flat (no equalisation, the Bose does that too), you should be OK.
Adding a Bluetooth adapter to an OEM HU, provides internet radio, all your music, hands free calls, and continuously updated live navigation, (Waze get my vote). Just my view.
Other views are (and doubtless will be) available!
Mac.

The Bose system uses only the line/phono output from the HU, as the Bose amp drives all of the speakers, Unless you're desperate for DAB, the gain over an OEM HU, especially with Bose, is not worth the hassle. Modern HUs have much better power sections, and that's where most of the cost goes. With Bose, this is not used at all, so a waste of precious pennies.
Having said all that, as long as you connect it up correctly, and set the line output (just the one, the Bose amp does the front/rear split) to flat (no equalisation, the Bose does that too), you should be OK.
Adding a Bluetooth adapter to an OEM HU, provides internet radio, all your music, hands free calls, and continuously updated live navigation, (Waze get my vote). Just my view.
Other views are (and doubtless will be) available!
Mac.

Hi Mac,

The Sony HU will become ‘spare’ soon and is only a few months old and rather than try & sell on I’d like the Apple CarPlay function

My Bose does have a Bluetooth adapter connected to the ext CD connection and works perfectly well, however if this works and means no structural changes to the dash or me having to wire anything then I think it maybe worthwhile.

Look like it has a sub output
5b69aba5bc6a776b1b409cf907d1afbe.jpg

@Cenick
Makes sense, if you already have a spare HU.
The line output you need is not the top black phono skt, (arrowed "SUB") but the middle (REAR) or bottom (FRONT) pair. I Don't think it matters which, as long as they're set to flat (no equalisation). As with the Bose (I think) front rear fade is not available, as only one of those are used by the Bose amp. Take your time selecting the right adapter, and you'll be fine. I'd be surprised if the Sony doesn't' have a spare input (CD changer perhaps?) that a Bluetooth adapter could be mated to.
Just shout if you're stuck, or in doubt.
Mac.

@Cenick
The line output you need is not the top black phono skt, (arrowed "SUB") but the middle (REAR) or bottom (FRONT) pair. I Don't think it matters which, as long as they're set to flat (no equalisation). As with the Bose (I think) front rear fade is not available, as only one of those are used by the Bose amp. Take your time selecting the right adapter, and you'll be fine. I'd be surprised if the Sony doesn't' have a spare input (CD changer perhaps?) that a Bluetooth adapter could be mated to.
Mac.

Right ok thanks for that information! As an aside I wouldn’t need the Bluetooth adapter as it’s built in, so that could go on the other A2 rather than the Bluetooth radio transmitter affair that’s in it currently.

@Cenick
Mac.

I bought a connects2 Audi harness for Bose systems, plug and play it says, my ars* could not get the Sony to power on at all!
I even tried a live feed to red and yellow wires direct from the fuse box.

Heres my wiring photos if any one has any suggestions?
de267db603e87c5081448012a4eb3e0b.jpg

9d0bdcdf089933216f20850e5534ca67.jpg

39b51a7401613ff88c73a6fb9326e877.jpg

670ce4b072684b4fee60956a19c96e87.jpg

c6c4dbc1ff14dcf2c375e7249367b425.jpg

fecf7eaecece0a17f23065f057c4ade4.jpg

f61e95086bfbed3e338a762b934d51a3.jpg

826904475981d60c60b8455f84bd0823.jpg

Obvious question but the unit does have a good earth connection wired in? Is the aerial connected to HU?

Last edited:
Obvious question but the unit does have a good earth connection wired in? Is the aerial connected to HU?

Does it need a separate earth? The car I removed it from didn’t need one. I didn’t bother connecting the aerial as the unit didn’t power up, I don’t think it needs one present to do so.

Yes you need an earth. When the unit is in the dash it gets an earth from the mounts normally. Always a good idea to have a separate good earth. Outer connection of the aerial is also an earth.

Yes you need an earth. When the unit is in the dash it gets an earth from the mounts normally. Always a good idea to have a separate good earth. Outer connection of the aerial is also an earth.

Ok thanks. I’ll have another go at the weekend.

Back