Air con fan not kicking in

ijedgar

A2OC Donor
First frosty morning this year for us and temperature at 0 degrees.
Put the air con on to get a bit of warmth and the bars indicating fan speed showed but after a few seconds went away and I could not hear any fan noise.
Tried again when stopped and I can hear a feint clicking sound in the dash when I change the fan direction buttons,the indicater bars come up but then go away.
Nothing coming through the vents,could the cold weather have killed the fan?
Up to now no problems with the air con but I do not use it very often.
Anyone had similar problems?
thanks

Hi Ijedgar ... might be too obvious ... have you got the temperature set above the ambient temperature in the car ... mine usually adjusts and the fans drop down once its reached the display setting?

Air con gives you cold air, i presume you mean you wanted warm air and the cabin blower is not working ? The bars going back to nothing usually means it needs a motor.

Nothing happening from Lo on the display right through to 22 degrees.
Yes,definitely warm air required,outside temperature 0 degrees.
Took a look at the fuse and all intact so as you say could be a new blower motor required.
thank you both.

Just another thought ... has the engine reached temperature on the gauge ... I think the climate control alters the speed of the fan dependent on the coolant temperature, so if coolant is still cold it will reduce fan speed, if the engines not getting warm enough it may be the thermostat or even just a failed interior temperature sensor?

Just an edit to the above, there is a similar link to your problem here:
https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/cabin-heater-not-working.34508/

Last edited:
One cheap thing to try is to remove the climate control panel from the dash. Located on the top behind the small horizontal grille is a motor with a small fan on it. These suck in cabin air to detect the cabin temperature and as such do fill up with all sorts of dust and debris to the point of stopping the little motor from turning. Using tweezers remove any dust etc from the area and make sure it is free to turn. Reinsert part way into the dash and turn on climate you should see the little fan spin. Other possibility is that the system is low on gas shutting it down to prevent damage.

If the bars for fan speed show then after a few seconds drop to zero and you didn’t hear any blower fan during that time it could be a failed blower fan maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have tried this 2 times. Fan probably needs to be lubed. It's worth try removing the glove box and disassemble the fan blower part. It lasts some months. Alternatively a replacement must be made.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,it would appear that a replacement fan is the best route.I was considering trying to do it myself but looking at the pics in the how to do it section I am not sure that my back would be able to take the strain of the working positions.I disc completely shot and another on the way out.This getting old lark is certainly not good for your health.

Got the same problem this morning - the bars indicating fan speed scrolled up for some seconds and then went back to zero, repeated again after a few minutes. No fan, so cold in the car and worse, no demisting of windscreen. Replacement fan I'm sure.

Back