Air con not working

Hi,

I have had my A2 1.4 petrol for nearly a year now and unfortunately I have had nothing but problems with it. But I will persist because I like it so much.

My engine seized the other weak and I had to get it replaced. I purchased a second hand engine and had it fitted. It seemed fine for the first day but I have now noticed a low pitched rhythmic knocking sound from underneath the dash. I have also noticed that the air con is no longer working.

The mechanic said it had been fully test driven and had a diagnostic (which cost extra) and all was fine. The parts and labour are under warrantee so I will obviously speak to the mechanic and get it sorted, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the problem may be before I go back, so I know a little about what I'm talking about.

TIA,

Adam.

Easy way to check the aircon system is to see if you can rotate the centre of the compressor by hand, with the engine off - look down the drivers side of the engine and there's an exposed belt that drives the alternator (top) and climate compressor (bottom).

Put your hand on the centre section of the compressor pulley and see if it spins. If not, then the compressor is fine.

I suspect that it'll be a connector loose and there are several of these. There's one on the body of the compressor for starters to check.

I think that this'll be the problem with the radio too - a missing connector (most likely the aerial).

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike. It all sounds simple enough. I'm very disapointed that I've spent a small fortune on getting it fixed and it's obvious that the fitter has not done his job properly. Anyway, thanks again.

Back