Air Con Problem

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with my A2's air con.

When I start it, it runs fine with ice cold air con for 5 minutes, then the air con stops working and normal fans are only thing going.

The compressor appears to switch off.

When I press the ECON button the aircon fan by the radiator stops and starts again when ECON is switched off.

I've seen things about the G263 sensor, and also the high pressure sensor.

Can the G263 shut down the compressor, as the high pressure one can?

I've had it regassed and the pressure is fine, so could be a faulty high pressure sensor?

If I park the car, and get in the next morning, is fine again for first 5 mins, doesn't matter if driving or stationary, have tried both.

Looked in VAG COM, but got a cheap arsed cable, so ordered a decent one, as got the too many communication errors thing.

If anyones experienced similar, I'd appreciate any advice, as I'm not looking forward to the dash removal.

Also I take it the G263 and the high pressure sensors are AUDI only supplied parts?

Ta all.

Climate control tricks??

A friend told me that you can get a diagnostic view on the Audi climate control displays?

Is this true for the A2, just this may help see why it turns off at exactly the same time when it runs?

it would be almost impossible to know what's going on without the scan codes.

The G263 doesn't shut the compressor. Not completely. If the CCU thinks that sensor is dead, it will only operate the compressor at reduced capacity, not completely off and you can tell the difference in temperature between working, reduced capacity and off in this warmer weather.

If you don't have the codes, you could piggy back the two wires to the compressor and monitor the voltage (but it is a pulse modulated supply, not easy to measure with a standard multimeter). If there is voltage and compressor is off, then compressor is probably dead. But if there isn't voltage at all then it must be some other sensor/CCU decided to shut it. There is another valve (I can't remember the name, don't have ElsaWin in hand) which might potentially shut the compressor.

A friend told me that you can get a diagnostic view on the Audi climate control displays?

Is this true for the A2, just this may help see why it turns off at exactly the same time when it runs?

Sorry to say the A2 climate panel does not display fault code info.
Compressor operation is controlled by several sensors, any of which could be the problem. Its even possible one of the motorised air distribution flaps is faulty, allowing warm air into the cabin once the engine coolant is up to temperature. This schematic my help understand the system - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2973&d=1236108437

Cheers Spike

Thanks

Thanks all,

I'll see what the VAG COM comes up with, as the compressor appears to switch off.

I can only tell this by switching the econ off, the revs don't up slightly and drop when i switch the econ back on.

It stayed on for longer today and as it is cooler, I'm hoping it isn't a compressor problem, although it would be a challenge to fit one.

VAG COM test

Hi Again,

I ran a test on the car and cleared all the errors, than drove for an hour, as was out anyway and retested when I got home.

The result for the air con was:

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: NONE
Control Module Part Number: 8Z2 820 043 B
Component and/or Version: A2-KLIMAVOLLAUTOMAT 0406
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code:
1 Fault Found:

00818 - Sensor for Evaporator Outlet Temperature (G263)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

As the air con stays on for longer days, I'm tempted to change the G263, as when the faults cleared, it comes back straight away, even with the aircon switched on and the engine not running, so the compressor is off.

If I manage to find a miracle way of getting to it I'll let everyone know as this websites ace for everyone helping each other.

Does anyone know where to get the sensor or are they AUDI only supplied?

Ta all.

The sensor isn't expensive from audi, part number is 6Q0907543. My original one was revision D but VAG have made replacement and the new one I bought was from a higher order in the alphabet. It should be about £20.

I do hope you find a way to get to it without take the dashboard out. If you've seen my thread on the topic, you would know I had the same fault but my sensor was working fine. The only difference was the new one responds to temperature change quicker and smoother when I was measuring the resistance (as indicated in ElsaWin). My compressor was dead and caused that error code.

This is what I say to everyone who is about to take the dash out and replace the sensor, make sure you can tell the difference between when ECON is on/off. This fault causes the CCU to reduce the a/c, not completely off. If the compressor is not dead, you should be able to feel a small difference in temperature with ECON on/off. Mine had no difference at all!

Good luck!

Air con

Hi all,

Drove home today and froze.

I haven't changed anything yet, but it was cooler, showing 20 on the dash.

Takes about 45 mins to drive home from work and the aircon stayed on all the way by the time I got home it was 10 in the car, and i was frozen.

So it looks like the compressor is ok I hope, I'll give that sensor test a go first, is there any type of meter I'd need to test it?

Thanks for the advice, I've got a vag com to help anyone in the area, north london, arsenal stadium area.

Thanks,

Thanks for all the advice.

I cycled the flaps in the system and deleted all the erros on the system using VCDS.

Since then, the aircon has run fine, blows nice and cold.

Glad I posted on here as I would have ended up taking it to a garage and paid £££'s.

The flap cycling thing seems to have fixed it!!

Back