Air con puzzle

Madmech

The air con on my 2003 1.6FSI died recently, thinking it had lost its gas I contacted Cool Car to come and re gas it. This being done (topped up from 236g to 500g)the diagnostics showed a fault on the thrust (pressure) sensor, this apparently protects the system if the gas is lost. the fault being short to earth. The original sensor U8ZO is no longer available, Audi offer the A4 U8EO as a direct replacement. This new sensor shows open circuit (fault to +) and as the cables were checked terminals 2 (blue / brown signal)and 3 (grey 12v) at the bullnose end appear to have swapped positions on the sensor, hence the fault. Audi say they are direct equivelents and know of no bulletins advising of mods required.
Has anyone else come across this conundrum, is it safe just to cut & re join the cables?
Cool car are at a loss as to a solution other than a possible cable chaffing fault, known on the A4 but not on an A2. They havent charged me for anything other than the part, so they get a thumbs up for integrity at least.

Not heard of this problem before. I'd be tempted to get a second opinion and a diagnostic scan by someone with VCDS (VagCom)
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Skipton01 is not too far from you and may be able to help.

Cheers Spike

Having climate problems of my own still, I'm pretty up to speed on the system.

Also, the good news is that if you're after a G65 high pressure sensor, I've got one in stock at the moment and it's a proper 8Z0 part!

Cheers,

Mike

In case it is of any help, I had a faulty pressure switch on my 03 Tdi and Audi replaced it with an 8EO switch. They did it so quickly I cannot imagine they had to mod it. Aircon now running sweetly.

Still got AC problems myself and just cant figure out why I get a 1-2 second burst of hot air at irregular intervals even when it is cooling to car down. AC air temp is as cold as a fridge when it needs to cool. Fan speed stays the same so is there a temp regulator sensor playing up?

It could be more serious than that Brian - the odd burst of warm air was the warning sign when my compressor packed up 3 years or so back.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

Trying the correct sensor is the obvious first route if I could borrow it. If it works the problem solved and I will purchase it, if not then it's a crate of beer and thinking caps on. I'll pay the postage.
My number is 01925 812731, if you could ring me we can discuss.

On a slightly different note a friend at work has a Bluetooth OBD2 ELM Code Scanner Can Bus 327 wireless, they cost £31.11 on line and plug into any post 2003 standard diagnostic socket. He sat in the passenger seat with his laptop and did a full diagnostic check whilst I was driving. They read the manufacturers codes and are brilliant. I'm no hot shot on a computer but even I could use this thing.

Regards Colin.

Hi Colin
I think a more realistic solution would be for you to drive over and see Mike. He could then do his own checks and diagnostic scan then make a decision if its worth trying the sensor (can you fit this without losing gas from the system? ) A second scan would then show if the sensor has fixed the problem.
There is always some risk of damaging electrical parts while doing a trial fit (which is why dealers won't accept returns) so I would not blame Mike if he was reluctant to risk his £50 sensor unless there was a commitment to buy if things go wrong.

Regarding OBD diagnostic readers, most will only read generic codes so its quite possible they will not pick up faults on hardware unique to Audi.
Out of interest what fault codes showed up relating to your aircom problem?

Cheers Spike

It could be more serious than that Brian - the odd burst of warm air was the warning sign when my compressor packed up 3 years or so back.

Cheers,

Mike

same here mike, mine was like that when the compressor went. Except I had the G263 error in the first place so the temperature difference wasn't that much. But I definitely had bursts of 'warmer' air.

Back