Air flow filter <!!>

trikz_a2

Hey,
Newbie to the forum, iv just purchased an Audi A2 TDi, 51 reg, and have noticed that after driving a while it seems like the Turbo stops working as they is a lag of perfomance all of a sudden... is this a common fault>?? please help, any feedback greatly appreciated!!:confused:
Is this something to do with the Air Flow Pipe or something?
thanks

Hi and welcome to A2OC.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

This does not sound like any 'common problem' that has been featured on these pages, but a VAGCOM diagnosis would hopefully pin point any issues. A dealer, a good independent or one of the many helpful folk on here with VAGCOM would ordinarily offer to assist you too, (within your locality).

You don't say whether this lack of power is accompanied by any warning lights?! I guess a worse case scenario could be a faulty turbo, but then this may equally prove to be a small hole in one of the pipes that may open up more as the engine gets hotter and the symptoms get worse.

Someone such as Mike or Spike will be much better placed to offer technical advice than a layman like myself however.

Good luck, hope you get it resolved soon and have many trouble free miles ahead.

Darren

thanks guys, real appreciate your assistance on this matter, i hope to get this problem sorted soon as and will update you with my process.:)
Il go with MAF sensor first...

thanks Chucknaldo, i am hoping to get it checked out later today and if it needs replacing i will take MAF from you.... thanks again:D

p.s. is they a 'Thanks button' or a 'Rep' icon i can give...

There is another thread on here with similar symptoms which I have failed to find. From memory the scan brought up a faulty N75 valve, which was actually ok, so they checked the inline valves and the vacuum lines. It was finnaly diagnosed as no vacuum present and so to prevent the turbo overboosting it was cutting it out. So it could be just a vacuum line perished or loose.

cheers

Jonathan

thanks Jonathan..

Hey just to update you guys on my situation: I have actually purchased a new MAF and fitted it in, and after car worked fine, But then a few days later its started again...:(
Will try Jonathan's advice or VAGCOM diagnosis..

hmmm, iv only had the A2 for 2 weeks... :confused: but that aside i am very happy with the car, esp the £35 road tax, and £33 to fill the tank:)

might be overboosting due to a pipe off. pull the tray and have a look by the turbo. it drove me mad for ages. If you turn the ign off and then on again do you regain boost? if you do it will be a limp home caused by overboost.

might be overboosting due to a pipe off. pull the tray and have a look by the turbo. it drove me mad for ages. If you turn the ign off and then on again do you regain boost? if you do it will be a limp home caused by overboost.

thanks for your comments, and your right it does re-set after iv turned ign off and back on, sometimes while in motion just to keep the momentum...:eek:

ok, going to garage today so will let you know if that works, thanks again for the advice, greatly appreciated:D

..great forum!!!!:cool:

sounds exactly like mine!
you could do it yourself if you can jack it up and get the tray off the underside. look up to near the turbo with a good torch and you will see a 2mm bore hard plastic pipe just hanging in space, near it you will see a green bit of braided rubber pipe going nowhere. shove it in and stick a small cable tie around it for safekeeping. i nearly took it to a garage but i was glad i didnt now. it was getting 122 bhp before due to this prob so expect a different type of power afterwards

right thanks for the info:D, i friend of mine owns a garage so will get it checked with him,, had no time 2day so prob get it looked at over wkd.. it will be nice to get some more 'uph,:cool:

saga continues... checked the vacuum pipes, everything seems ok, now it looks like the Inter cooler is split, making the turbo over boost... :(
does any1 have a spare Intercooler for sale?

i think that the split intercooler is a RESULT of the overboost not the thing that caused it. Mine split too, they are crap when you up the boost, i was lucky to get it under warranty though. See where it is split and explore fixing it as a cheaper option

Back