Airbag light since cabin fan repair

cheechy

A2OC Donor
So a few weeks back I had a seized cabin fan issue where I removed, cleaned up and put the fan back in. I got an Airbag light on which cleared down fine but now its reappeared and wont clear. I'm aware the airbag sits above the glovebox and I'm guessing we've done something to disturb it. I'm not sure but I also think that maybe the current temperature may have been a contributing factor to it coming back on so something maybe expanding somewhere?

I will need to take the glovebox out again but Is there anything I can look out for maybe in relation to a pulled wire / connector or could I have damaged the airbag when the glovebox went back in?

So a few weeks back I had a seized cabin fan issue where I removed, cleaned up and put the fan back in. I got an Airbag light on which cleared down fine but now its reappeared and wont clear. I'm aware the airbag sits above the glovebox and I'm guessing we've done something to disturb it. I'm not sure but I also think that maybe the current temperature may have been a contributing factor to it coming back on so something maybe expanding somewhere?

I will need to take the glovebox out again but Is there anything I can look out for maybe in relation to a pulled wire / connector or could I have damaged the airbag when the glovebox went back in?
Dissconect the battery, well before looking for airbag related faultsa. And only reconnect once things are back together.
Mac

Did you move the passenger seat? Could be the connector beneath the seat rather than the dash airbag. Worth checking this first as a lot less work involved.

Did you move the passenger seat? Could be the connector beneath the seat rather than the dash airbag. Worth checking this first as a lot less work involved.
I doubt it in all honesty but its a good shout and only takes a second to check so will check that first! :)

Although you are associating the airbag light with the fan blower issue you may be jumping to conclusions as it is pretty hard to accidentally disconnect the passenger airbag due to the locking on the plug....

Disconnect the battery at both terminals and make sure the leads can not accidentally make contact and wait 20-30 minutes. Disconnect each of the front seats, clean the wiring plugs and reconnect them. Remove the steering wheel airbag and remove and refit its connector ensuring good contact is being made then refit the airbag.

Reconnect the battery terminals and resynch the keys and windows and set the clock. Now start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. Scan the car for errors.

Evening Cheechy,

I think the above information above from both Mac @PlasticMac and Graham @audifan is spot on. As you have tried to clear down the airbag fault, are you able to read where the fault is coming from - according to you diagnostic software, does the fault definitely reside at the passenger airbag.

Also, do you have the passenger airbag off switch on the inside of the glove box.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks guys so I've been working on a washer reservoir leak most of the night (replaced with another reservoir then found out it was the pump itself leaking!) But I did disconnect the battery for around 30 minutes, hook backup then managed to then clear the code without it returning. Will keep an eye out

For info the code is 01218-32-10 that may well indicate passenger side airbag (good call Graham) and if it does come back I'll give it a good wash with contact cleaner with the battery disconnected.

Back