alarm + battery problems

papa_j

hi,

my alarm keeps going off at night. it all began after i had not driven the car for a couple of weeks. i gave the car a good run to recharge the battery and that seemed to cure it for a week. unfortunately the alarm has started going off again.

i have bought a new battery because the car is over 5 years old. i am now having problems removing the old one. it seems to be held in place by some moulded plastic supports. how do i get it out???? :confused:

any ideas about either problem greatly appreciated.

thanks papa_j

Hi papa j, welcome to the A2oc
According to the workshop manual the battery is held in place by 2 bolts. Remove the moulded polystyrene packer at the rear of the battery to gain access to these. Once the bolts are removed, the battery can be slid rearwards to release it from the front plastic lugs which latch over the battery baseplate.
Let us know if the new battery cures the alarm fault.

Cheers Spike

alarm problems

Hi Spike.

Thanks for your advice. the new battery is now fitted. Audi over engineering!! I have taken the car for a drive to give the new battery a charge. I really hope it does the job.

Do you have any idea how to disable the alarm incase it starts up again. I was wondering if i could remove the central locking fuse and lock all the doors manually until i get chance to have it looked at properly.

cheers again papa_j

The alarm is non-disableable (if there is such a word!) for security reasons - if you can do it then so could a thief.

Removing the fuse would not have any effect and you would not be able to lock the doors as they don't have key-holes on them, apart from the drivers that is.

You can remove the horn assembly, but this involves removing the offside boot trim panel to gain access to the hornand is not a small, two minute job.

Cheers,

Mike

alarm

Hi Mike.

Thanks for your advice. the alarm is still going off and still only at night. I will have to bite the bullet and call a garage. hopefully get it sorted asap.

cheers papa_j

Back