Alarm box

algasa

A2OC Donor
Got a problem with the alarm on my other halves a2 tdi 54 plate does not bleep when u lock the car
Only noticed when I took it for a run earlier and went to lock it checked all the doors and boot and front service hatch all are locked and the interior light also goes out when locked asked her about it and she said does not remember when it stopped bleeping
Showed her mine on my a2 when alarm is on and it bleeps
Is the alarm box nacked where is it so I can have a look at it
Cheers Gary

Hi Gary,

This is a convenience unit feature that can be programmed on or off. Perhaps during a service it was disabled. Should be a relatively straightforward fix, but you would need someone with the right software coding kit to do it. There are many such people on this forum and one might live near to you. Failing that it is a dealer job, but that will no doubt be the expensive route.

Cheers,

Darren

One of my mates has got a scanner would that be able to check to see if it's turned off
Cheers Gary

I doubt it; a code reader just looks for faults held in the cars memory. You would need to tap into the brain of the convenience unit to understand what options are set. This would require the appropriate connector and VAG software loaded onto a laptop.

The caveat here is this is my understanding; I might well be corrected.

I think that Daren is probably right, but another cause could be a faulty switch on one of the doors or the service hatch.

Especially if it has worked up to now.

The beep can be switched on or off via VCDS but I would be very surprised if someone has change the code by accident.

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Gary,

When you lock the car, do the lights flash? :p

If they don't, then the beep won't happen because the car doesn't think it's fully secure. If the lights flash, then its likely a coding issue.

Regards,

Matt.

I think irregular flashing of the drivers door LED can also give an indication of the alarm not setting correctly.
Just found this in the owners manual -

Correct alarm activation - LED flashes rapidly for 30 sec then continues to flash slowly

Alarm setting problems - LED continuously lit for 30 sec

Cheers Spike

Back