Alloy Wheel Centre's Fitting

Colin 540

A2OC Donor
England
Is there a correct way to fit wheel centre's, I have lost a couple recently through being loose not fitting tightly.
My wheels are 17 inch sport alloys.

Cheers
Colin

Is there a correct way to fit wheel centre's, I have lost a couple recently through being loose not fitting tightly.
My wheels are 17 inch sport alloys.

Cheers
Colin

There is a certain position where one of the parts of the centre avoids a round bump on the alloy.

You will find that the centre cap can go on in any angle as long as this bump lines up with one of the indentations.

The other thing to add is that if you have bought non-OEM ones they have weaker centre rings and can be loose no matter what position you put them in.

Steve B

Yes - genuine centre caps all have a locating lug which juts out and fits into a slot in the alloy to ensure the cap is oriented correctly.

However, if you mis-locate it, this will also mean that you can't seat the cap fully.

Most caps rely on a circular wire passing inside a load of plastic prongs and this wire ensures the prongs are tensioned correctly and will hold the cap in place. This photo shows the circular wire quite nicely:

701405_2.jpg

In the following photo, you can see the locating lug, which on the 17" alloy is moulded into the wheel itself (it's the little nobble at the 3 o'clock position of the wheel bolt area here)

attachment.php

On the 16" wheel, you can see there's 3 locating nobbles, spaced so the cap can only fit one way:

attachment.php

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Michael

Yes can confirm thats how I have been fitting them, I guess the circular wire may not be fitted / tensioned correctly will have to check this, centres where on the car when I brought it and the are the same as Mikes photos.
Thanks Mike and Steve

Cheers
Colin

Back