Alloy wheel problem

doctor

Hi, Just found this site from a link on another Audi site and am glad to find a place to discuss as an A2 owner.

It's a long one I'm afraid!

I recently had steering problems on my A2 and decided to get it checked out whilst under warrenty.
The dealer had it for two days at the end of the first they phoned and said that the front nearside alloy had been damaged and that they would have to replace and reset the tracking etc.
I couldn't really argue except that we both were not aware of bumping a curb excessively or hitting a pot hole, we did remember that the same wheel had a different tyre on and when asked at sale they said that it had a blow out.

I asked for the damaged wheel to be put in the boot and paid the bill (£460...ouch!).

I wrote to the dealer explaining that we could not recollect any serious bump and that if this was caused by general driving conditions we had to question Audi's design.

In the meantime I had the damaged wheel checked by an alloy wheel repair expert...minor damage total £50 to repair in 24hrs.

I have asked for the audi dealer to reply in writing what they intend to do, they have already said that they will reimbirse the cost of the wheel, although this is only due to the possible damage caused by the blow out.

My main problem is that they replaced the wheel and did not offer repair (is this audi policy?), my second concern is that the mechanic signed this wheel off as a write- off when it is perfectly ok. It has placed a huge distruss between me and a company that i chose for its name! sorry to go on:( but until this happened I thought that I had found an excellent product with an excellent back up.

Doc.

Hi, welcome to the A2oc.
It's sad but I think the Dealers are obliged to do everything by the book nowdays. I suspect Audi do not have an official inspection and repair procedure for alloys so the Dealer will have no option but to scrap off a damaged wheel. I dread the thought of a crack propogating from the impact area, causing a failure on the motorway
Based on your brief description, the Dealer appears to have acted fairly in refunding your money (I assume you will return the new wheel) so if it were me, I would try and get back on friendly terms with them. Really its more a lack of communication than being devious - if only they had explained their policy up front.....
Its a while since I stuck up for a dealer but in this case I think you have been a bith harsh.........just don't ask me what I think about their labour rates!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps Spike

Hi Spike,

Thanks for replying, it has made me gather my thoughts on what action to take, and yes I guess it is all down to communication. I shall visit my dealer next week and discuss this issue. I perhaps feel that when I chose Audi as opposed to the competition I was buying into a name of quality, when these things happen It's disappointing.
I had previously been let down badly by the same dealer with their Merc hat on and so reserve a doubt with their servicing.

I shall let you know the outcome.

Happy days

Doctor

Back