Alternator/battery light on dash board

olly811

For the last couple of weeks the battery light on the dash console has been flicking on and off quite often but not constantly. There has also been a sort of squealing, rumbling knocking noise while idling, similar to the noise of a bad fan belt. Well, yesterday there was a new noise, a rolling whirrrr sounding like a wheel bearing fault but from the engine bay, and now the light is constantly on.

Could this be my alternator on the way out? I have also read about energy saver pulley wear. Anyone had similar problems? Any way of checking visually?

Any advice very welcome.

Yes. I have !! My alternator pulley actually broke off and wedged itself deep in the engine bay.

It sounds exactly like the freewheel pulley on the alternator has failed. They cost about £50 ish and about an hour to change by a competent mechanic so expect to pay about £100. Stealth did mine for about that cost.

Get it done as soon as you can too to prevent draining damage to the battery. Almost everything runs off that battery. Steering, etc

HTH.

Cheers,

This happens. My alternator went in January of this year after having my freewheel pulley changed in May of last year. C'est la vie.

Glad you have it sorted though, even though it was the more expensive solution.

Cheers and take care,

How big a job is it to do the alternator on the A2?
My A2 is running sweeter than ever at the moment, but I dread the time I ever have to work on something in the engine bay, its like some evil origami puzzle.

Back